Critique Please!

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm by Niki11784

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:23am
post #31 of 48

sorry, I forgot to mention that the you-tube link was to help make sure there are no pleats.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:31am
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

it wont let the link, but its
4 Tier Round cake Pan Set by Wilton 2'' deep

OOOh those pans aren't the best pans to use for baking. I noticed that they have a flare to them. If you just have to use the wilton ones I would use the professional and not the performance. The best pans in my opinion is magic line. They are more expensive but are so much better.

What do you mean by flare? Also, can you please direct me to a thread that talks about the problem with folding/pleating at the bottom of the cakes from the fondant?

I did a google search and this is what came up:
http://www.google.com/search?q=folds+on+fondant+site%3Awww.cakecentral.com&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=9SI&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

When I said flare I meant that the cake pans aren't perfectly vertical... It could be 10 in on the bottom and measure it on the top not including the lip it's larger or smaller, as an example

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:33am
post #33 of 48

Here are some videos on covering a cake in fondant:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+cover+a+cake+with+fondant&aq=0

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:07am
post #34 of 48

Also, air pockets can happen if you don't smooth your fondant down properly, sometimes it has nothing to do with the filling. If you find one after you are done, just poke it with a pin and (gently!) squish the air out of that little tiny hole. It works!

Your fondant looks good on the top 2 tiers in the 3 tiered cake you did, and the Lego cake is really cute icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see what you show us next!

Chelsea

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:09am
post #35 of 48

Wow, sorry It must be late or something... I just realized how many exclamation points I had in that post.... icon_lol.gif

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:28am
post #36 of 48

Ok, I am in awe of the mat! I never heard of it! Does it really work as amazing as the demo clip? I want to get it for this 4 tier cake!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:25pm
post #37 of 48

You have gotten a lot of great advice, if you would like to join the "critique sub members group" (which is nice, an all in one stop to post your pics that you would like others help and opinions on) Here is the link to it:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624760.html

Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:30pm
post #38 of 48

thanks for pointing me to that group, I am going to join it! I feel like I just got a paper back all graded and corrected, and now i get to fix it and hand it back in for an a+ thumbs_up.gif Thanks for all your help and input everyone!

Niki11784 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:02pm
post #39 of 48

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I posted pics of the cake.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1938249
I was so happy with how it came out, and there is no way I could have done it without you. I know there is still TONS of room for improvement, but this is so much better than my last.... A few points from this thread that helped me:
1. THE MAT- AMAZING and worth every single penny. It was so much less stressful to cover the cakes, and it eliminated my humongous issue with wrinkles and pleats around the bottom of the cake. It worked exactly like the video, so thank you for letting me know about it!
2. Refridgerating the frosted cake, definitely helped before covering it.
3. The ribbons- I realized that the ribbons I had bought were wrinkled, so I ironed them, and it made a huge difference.
4. The height of the cakes- I paid more attention to that this time,and I think it paid off.
5. Bubble tea straws. I used them this time instead of dowels, and I think the support system is much better than last time. No bulging, thank goodness.
Some issues I still have:
When it came to stacking the cake, I noticed that some of the cakes slanted in as it went down. Almost like a topsy turvy cake, but not on purpose. Any ideas why this happened? I did try to straighten the edges of the cake, but I guess not good enough!
Thank you again for all of your help and criticsm icon_smile.gif You guys are amazing!

Vanessa7 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:15pm
post #40 of 48

Niki11784,

I think you did a nice job on your cake! I can't see where it is slanted but it might be you needed additional bubble straws for support there. If you had bubble straws there already, maybe they could have been a little lower than the others? Don't know, just a thought. Be proud of your cake! Job well done!

Niki11784 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #41 of 48

Thank you! I am proud (and relieved!) The whole cake was slanting- the side of the cake was slanting. Its hard to explain, you can't see it in the pictures. Its like the circumference of the bottom border was smaller than the circumference of top border.

Niki11784 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #42 of 48

Thank you! I am proud (and relieved!) The whole cake was not slanting- the side of the cake was slanting. Its hard to explain, you can't see it in the pictures. Its like the circumference of the bottom border was smaller than the circumference of top border.

Vanessa7 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:31pm
post #43 of 48

Look at your pans and see if the top part of your cake pans are flared more than bottom. That might be the culprit. If they are, you just need to make sure to level your sides before decorating or by pans that have straight sides.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm
post #44 of 48

I missed this thread when you started it so I am seeing it for the first time now. The improvement from the 2-tier you did in Jan to the 4-tier you just did is amazing. You should be very proud. Isn't it exciting when practice pays off!!!

I don't see any slanting in your picture. So if there is any, it must not have been very noticable. Just make sure your straws are all cut exactly the same height and your cakes are level.

Lookes like you got the fondant nice and smooth and took care of the buldges. My only advice would be more decoration....Unless maybe that's what the customer wanted. And the board has a few flaws in the fondant covering. Otherwise it looks very nice.

If you ever want to achieve really sharp edges and nice flat sides, try using ganache under fondant. Oh and no chance of bulges or blowouts. Once I started using it, I could see a major difference. Only problem now is I'm afraid to go back to buttercream under my fondant icon_redface.gif But for my next few cakes I've been requested to do buttercream so I guess I'll be working on that icon_lol.gif

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:59pm
post #45 of 48

debbief , can you give me your recipe for chocolate ganache for under fondant ? I only know poured ganache . What is the difference ?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 12:11am
post #46 of 48

I too have lots of frustration trying to use the search functions on this site. However, I did *finally* find the leah_s orginal post:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-leahs.html

Shanter

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:20am
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggler

debbief , can you give me your recipe for chocolate ganache for under fondant ? I only know poured ganache . What is the difference ?

For a spreadable ganache that sets up firm under fondant, use 2 parts dark choc to 1 part cream OR 3 parts white chocolate to 1 part cream.

make sure your chocolate is chopped well... I use good quality chocolate chips sometimes. Heat your cream just to the boiling point and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for a few minutes and stir gently until all the chocolate is melted. Leave it set several hours or over night. It should be like a peanut butter consistency when you spread it.

I've also whipped it and used it for filling. It's really good.

Here's an excellent tutorial on icing a cake in ganache.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

Niki11784 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #48 of 48

Thanks debbie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%