How To Get Photos Onto Cakes

Lounge By zinger60 Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm by letsgetcaking

zinger60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zinger60 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 4

If someone doesn't have a scanner and printer that prints photos for cakes, is there any other way to get it printed? If I took a picture to a bakery such as Sams Club, would they do it for me so that I could put it on my cake at home? I have had people ask me for this kind of cake and I have had to turn them down because I don't know how to do it.

3 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 4

Basically you need an printer with edible inks. And then you print onto icing sheets. Many grocery stores will do it for you if you bring the image on a usb key. You'd have to ask around to find out who in your area will and for how much.

You can also get order an edible image from Icing Images. They also sell the edible inks and supplies.

If you get enough requests for this kind of decoration, there are some reasonably priced printers that are recommended by icing images.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 4

I get my done at Wal-Mart. They charge $6.50 a sheet. I just print them out on a word document and take them in.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

Yep, some bakeries will print them for you. I've had images printed at Giant and Albertson's. Both places charged $6 for a sheet. Make sure you go in and order at least few days before you'll need it. They told me over the phone they could print it right then, but once I dropped it off, they said it would be 48 hours. Also, it seems they often have problems with the machine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%