My Cake Crumbled! Quick Question...

Lounge By huneebuns Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm by Mug-a-Bug

huneebuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huneebuns Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 4

Last night I had prepared a DH red velvet cake, following directions to a T. The cakes cooled n I also refrigerated them for about an hour before I frosted it. As I began frosting, the cake was just falling apart, I was able to fix it to a degree but had I been making the cake for someone, it would have ended up in the trash.

I can't figure out what went wrong, perhaps my frosting (traditional butter cream) was too thick? This has never happened before but at the same time I've never made a red velvet cake, tiered n covered n fondant either.

Please help! Is there any way I could alter a cake mix to make it a bit denser? Possibly without adding sour cream or yogurt?

3 replies
BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 4

go to "most saved recipes" and look for "durable cake for 3d/stacking"...it's delicious!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 4

Red velvet is very delicate. Your icing was probably too thick. It can be thinned with water or milk, or even nuked for a few seconds.

I also don't think you let the cake rest long enough after baking. It should ideally sit overnight (wrapped) before icing. Or at least a few hours.

Chilling was a good idea, but in the future, place the cake in the freezer, not the refrigerator. 15-20 minutes in the freezer, the outside of the cake will get nice and firm while the inside stays at room temp.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 4

Adding applesauce will give you a denser cake (don't put too much though or your cake will be too moist... a few heaping tablespoons will do it). Also, add an extra egg. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%