Self Doubt

Lounge By FH_Cakes Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm by FH_Cakes

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:26am
post #1 of 14

Do you have days where the self doubt is consuming? I am having a couple days like that and I just can't seem to pull myself out of it. I try not to compare my abilities to the other local cake artists, but I keep doing it! I know I am my own worst critic, I always find the flaws in every cake I send out...My hubby says I over analize things...he is right!

I know there is always room for improvement, and I have alot to learn! I just keep doubting myself on whether I am good enough...Sorry for ranting, I just need to hear from others that I am not alone in this.

13 replies
sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:41am
post #2 of 14

Wow. If you are finding flaws with your work, please do not even look at mine. LOL! Your cakes looks great! There will always be someone that is better at something. Sometimes that someone is going to be YOU! thumbs_up.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:52am
post #3 of 14

FH_Cakes

Sometimes we all get "caked-out." Is it possible for you to step away for a few hours or a weekend to re-energize? Your cakes are beautiful. Sometimes we just need to take a break. From what I can see, you do great work.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:57am
post #4 of 14

We are always our own worst critics! Your cakes look great! Nobody notices the "flaws" in most cases. I recently delivered a cake for an event and the party planner was raving about it. I saw at least 3 things I would do differently next time but she thought it was perfect! Lighten up on yourself and realize that with each mistake you think you make, you learn from it. You should be proud of your work, you do a good job! thumbs_up.gif

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:17am
post #5 of 14

I think everybody does or has doubted themselves at one point or another.

As a decorater, you will continue to see all the flaws in your work. That is because you made it and you know any missteps you made.

I feel as long as the recipient is happy then you met your goal.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #6 of 14

I think everybody has times like these just remember
We are the only ones who study every single square inch of our cakes, people just see the whole and for the most part the whole looks great or at least okay.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 14

I think everyone has these moments .. I can say that I have been feeling the same way .. the last few cakes I have posted on here, not even one comment .. it really makes me doubt my work!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH_Cakes

Do you have days where the self doubt is consuming? I am having a couple days like that and I just can't seem to pull myself out of it. I try not to compare my abilities to the other local cake artists, but I keep doing it! I know I am my own worst critic, I always find the flaws in every cake I send out...My hubby says I over analize things...he is right!

I know there is always room for improvement, and I have alot to learn! I just keep doubting myself on whether I am good enough...Sorry for ranting, I just need to hear from others that I am not alone in this.

You're not alone!! I had that more often when I first started, and occasionally I still get it from time to time, but I found that the more I practice and the more comfortable I get, the more ENJOYABLE it becomes. Not every cake will turn out like you want, but that's okay!! Fix what doesn't work or enjoy the new look! icon_biggrin.gif And remember, you're looking at a cake from mere inches from your nose for hours, if not DAYS!! OF COURSE you're going to see the flaws!!!! DUH!! The public won't -- they look at it from a distance for a moment and are suitably impressed! So don't sweat it and remember, IF YOU'RE NOT HAVING FUN, YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!! icon_lol.gif

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 14

I know that I struggle with self doubt alot. I think it goes hand in hand with being an artist. We pour ourselves into our work and hope that people appreciate all the effort. Some do, some don't realize what it took. Honestly I have noticed fabulous cakes on here don't get noticed with favorites or comments not because they aren't great, just because they are not that different or technique on it is not new. My posts seem to get attention when it is something way different or a new technique is showcases. My snowflake topper got a ton of attention, but the whole display (which was the most work) got a moderate amount of attention in comparison.

My topper was sugar work, which is a bit different, so it got attention. I too am guilty if this. As an artist I am always looking for the new medium to conquer so I pay more attention to those items.

Your work is great- hang in there. I know it is hard, some days better than others. Take a break, find something that makes you happy (me, I like a good lifetime movie and mint choc. chip ice cream). Take a day and try to find something that relaxes you.

You love cake and the artistry that is a part of it. You will have a good day again soon. Hugs!

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 14

I am right there in the boat with you.....I have a friend who also cakes. we actually took the Wilton classes together and she always seems to be busier than me. I have had people tell me that my cakes are better and sometimes I agree but it still grates my nerves to hear her talk about all she had to do. I have decided to just keep plugging along, do my best and it will all work out for me. I read on here before on the same subject that if you aren't liking what you see in the cake you are working on just stop and walk away and start back later. Fresh eyes do make a difference. Good luck in getting yourself out of the funk your in. I do know it's hard though.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 14

And I thought it was just me with the self doubts! Yes, we see the flaws that nobody else does. You do great work! The best thing about cakes, is it gets better every time we do one!
As far as getting comments, I know what you mean. I don't have very many cakes on here, and I used to get upset because I didn't have very many comments. But when I put them on my facebook page, I get a ton. I think it is just a numbers thing. There are so many cakes posted on here, it is hard to get a lot of comments.
Don't let it get you down, just keep baking and caking! It is what we love!!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 14

Oh yeah, you're not alone. At this moment, I'm also wallowing in the pit of self doubt. But I can't stop caking. It's an obsession. And I keep telling myself every cake is a different learning experience. And I have improved immensely over the past few years. Your hubby is right, and your cakes are great. Every time you doubt yourself just remember the joy of one of your customers and use that to lift your spirits.

yodasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yodasmom Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 14

I think we all know exactly how your feel. I have anxiety over my work when I don't get that much response from posted pictures, but I agree with CookiesbymomME that the really unique and different get a lot of praise, as they most definitely should, and the quality but common sometimes get overlooked. I compare myself to others all the time to my detriment, but I can't seem to stop. Luckily I live in Texas so I can only bake cakes for friends and family right now due to the laws. By the rules of association they have to give me undue praise since they cakes they get are free. But this also allows me to step away for a little while and focus on something else so I don't burn out on cakes. FH, I hope you are able to step away everyonce in a while as well because your cakes are excellent! You have too much talent to let self-doubt consume you! Keep cakin'!

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you everyone for all the kind responses. It really helps to know that I am not alone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%