I Don't Get The Lack Of Logic Sometimes

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 12:51pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 16

A client who booked me last year emailed to ask about whether the deposit is refundable if they cancel the cake, so I looked up what it said on the contract. It said (in bold) "the $100 retainer fee is a non-refundable fee." So I emailed back that it wasn't refundable. Turns out that she booked me, then kept shopping for cheaper cakes, and she found someone who would give her a slightly bigger cake FOR MORE MONEY, so she wanted to cancel her contract.

This other person has a cheaper price per serving, but once you add all her fees up, the price would be higher. (I also looked at her website and her cakes are "less than excellent" shall we say, so the client is willing to go for a crooked cake in exchange for a cheaper price per serving even though the final price would be higher.

Can anyone explain to me how any of that makes sense? Am I missing something?

15 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 16

It might be cake muggle logic....

I guess she's not seeing the final price...

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 16

Think of the challenge of trying to "educate" this client. If not, you have a nice profit for no more work.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 16

There is no way a logical person can understand an illogical person icon_eek.gif ! You would hope this customer would take the time to figure the costs out to make an informed decision but sometimes their vision gets cloudy when someone makes them "feel" as though they are getting a "discount". And at some point, you really need to consider quality. Even if in a situation you charged the customer more for the cake than bakery A, a logical person would be willing to pay more for quality.

I wish you the best and few interactions with people like this in the future! thumbs_up.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 16

Ugh. ::headdesk:: icon_confused.gif

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 16

Awwww look at you so cute tying to figure out the thought process of insane people. I admire your determination but net of you to realize.....people suck! It will make you crazy trying to figure out how people think, and doing the what dis I so wrong....at the end of the day you just gotta say screw it, have a laugh ( and some wine) and then be happy this crazy nightmare bride is now someone else's problem!

costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Awwww look at you so cute tying to figure out the thought process of insane people. I admire your determination but net of you to realize.....people suck! It will make you crazy trying to figure out how people think, and doing the what dis I so wrong....at the end of the day you just gotta say screw it, have a laugh ( and some wine) and then be happy this crazy nightmare bride is now someone else's problem!

Hahaha! No, she's still going to use me once I told her that the deposit isn't refundable. Maybe I'll tell her that if she wants, I can charge her the same price as the other person, plus I'll make the cake look like one of hers if I can figure out how to ice a cake to make it look like it's melting.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 16

LOL! You totally should. icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 16

Yeah, I was channeling Indy last week at a wedding show. The young couple, expecting (seriously expecting not just inviting) 300 guests was having trouble grasping why their wedding was costing so much. I looked at them and asked, "If you took friends out to dinner at your favorite restaurant, how much would it cost per person?" About $20 bucks they said. "OK, now multiply that by 300 . . ." Light bulbs above their cute little heads began to glow. And a look of horror began to spread across their bright and shiny faces.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 16

LOL Oh my goodness and this is our future!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Yeah, I was channeling Indy last week at a wedding show. The young couple, expecting (seriously expecting not just inviting) 300 guests was having trouble grasping why their wedding was costing so much. I looked at them and asked, "If you took friends out to dinner at your favorite restaurant, how much would it cost per person?" About $20 bucks they said. "OK, now multiply that by 300 . . ." Light bulbs above their cute little heads began to glow. And a look of horror began to spread across their bright and shiny faces.

You dream crusher! icon_biggrin.gif

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You dream crusher! icon_biggrin.gif

Hahaha!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #13 of 16

As the credit card commercials say.....PRICELESS! icon_biggrin.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:04am
post #14 of 16

::Shakes her head::

Stupid is as stupid does. Some people get stuck on that price per serving and think that we're all on a level playing field. Its like when Applebees does that deal - 2 meals for $20. Then they stand at the table and bore you for 20 minutes asking if you want upcharges. "Butter will be $.50, sour cream is a $1.50... do you want bacon bits? $1.75....."

I will always love that look of horror when poor little bridey realizes that cake to feed 500 is gonna cost more than $400....

MATH, anyone?!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:23am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

This other person has a cheaper price per serving, but once you add all her fees up, the price would be higher.

Ahhhh .... the 'ole "nickel and diming her to death" theory in reality!!! Just exactly what I point out in my blog article: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/10/lowest-price-isnt-always-cheapest.html

This story will soon become inVALUABLE to you as you share it with other brides! I used this type of story as a preface to "As you do your comparision shopping, what you want to watch for is the thing one of my other brides ran into ......" icon_twisted.gif

reminds me of a news story i saw once during christmas shopping season. Two women walk into a mall store where there is a big sign that says "Buy one get one 50% off". One says to the other, "Oh look! A 50% off sale!"

No, idiot, it's NOT!!! If you buy one at $50, you get the 2nd one for $25.
Total original price: 2 x $50 each = $100.
Total actually spent? $50 (orig) + $25 (half price) = $75.
Total discount? 25%

It is pathetically sad that people just can't Do. The. Math!! anymore! aaauuuggghhhh!!!!!

P.S. Here's my "Do The Math" blog article that leahs kinda alluded to: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/Do%20The%20Math

costumeczar Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:51pm
post #16 of 16

I tell people to watch for the "additional fees" all the time (Oh, you want icing on your cake? That's an additional fee.) They don't seem to get it, though.

After that person emailed me yesterday someone else emailed and told me that they needed a cake for 150 people and their cake budget was $250. I was sorely tempted to send them the mapquest dierctions to Walmart, but I wrote back and told them that if they did this, that, etc. then they could get their cost down to around $375 once they added in tax and delivery, and if they had any wiggle room in their budget to call me. They just really have no idea what cakes cost sicne they're all used to going to the grocery store and getting that butter-free, one-layer piece of hockey puck cake for $15.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%