Don't Do This!

Lounge By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 3:24am by mommachris

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 7

I thought I was being so smart yesterday. I was using my Spinning Leaf cookie molds to make snowflake and snowman chocolate covered oreos for a party this weekend.

I had the different colors of chocolate in several small glass bowls and 2 in plastic bottles with tips. I always get really annoyed because the chocolate hardens in the bowls and bottles while I am waiting for the cookies to harden. I've tried using heating pad method, but that doesn't work well. Once I tried putting the plastic bottles in a crock pot on warm, but the bottles melted.

I had baked some cookies earlier and the oven was still warm. Not hot, as it had been off for a while, but warm enough to keep the chocolate melted, so I put the bowls and bottles of chocolate on a cookie tray and popped them in the oven with the light on. It worked great!

Until today. I was preheating the oven to cook dinner when I started to smell chocolate, and wondered why. When I opened the oven to put the chicken in, I saw the mess. The plastic bottles had melted onto and over the edge of the cookie sheet, the plastic spoons that I had in the glass bowls were melted over the edge of each bowl! I don't care about the spoons, but the bottles were new and I cannot buy them locally. Awww!

How do you all keep your chocolate liquid while you are working?

6 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:10am
post #2 of 7

Oh, that stinks! Is there a signal you can set for yourself that will remind you it's in the oven? Like put a magnet on the front or something as soon as you put your stuff in?

Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

How do you all keep your chocolate liquid while you are working?

I don't work with chocolate that much but could you set them in a pan of very warm water?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 7

some use square electirc frying pan set on low with water in them. like a water bath and set the bottle in the water.I have heard others use a bowl ontop of a heating pad.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:12am
post #4 of 7

I have an electric skillet I use only for chocolate. No water. I set it at low temp and place my PLASTIC bowls right on the surface. (I prefer plastic to glass for melting chocolate.) I place my parchment bags filled with chocolate on a kitchen towel laid in the pan.

Back in 1992, I was a Pampered Chef consultant. At my VERY FIRST show, I asked my hostess (and good friend) to preheat the oven. Within a few minutes we smelled something. A frying pan with a plastic spatula was in the oven! Ack!

We had to open all the windows and crank up all the ceiling fans. This apparently was not such a great idea as the globe from one of the fan's light fixtures fell RIGHT ONTO A BABY! Thank goodness the globe just kind of 'bounced' off the baby's head and didn't break!

Since that day, I look inside my oven EVERY SINGLE TIME I use it. I am absolutely obsessive about it. It's also nice to check the rack positions before turning on the oven, so there's an upside to my neurosis. icon_smile.gif

khemerso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khemerso Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 8:48am
post #5 of 7

I don't know about the liquid chocolate question but I just wanted to comment on your mishap...I did something similar on Christmas day...I had stored my 9x13 pan with a plastic lid on it in the oven (yes this was a bad idea but I have too many pans for my cupboard space icon_smile.gif Anyway, I forgot to check before i preheated and when i opened it up there was a pan full of melted plastic! ooops! (lesson definitely learned icon_smile.gif
I was really worried about the fumes and I researched it and I guess if there is melted plastic on the surface the oven itself there are toxic fumes that can get into the food you bake, even if you scrape it off there is a thin layer left that can only be burnt off in the self cleaning mode... There was a lot of info about cleaning the oven properly and different types of plastic that are more harmful...Luckily my melted plastic stayed contained in the pan so I just had to air out the kitchen really well which was not fun on a cold December day in Iowa icon_smile.gif
I just thought I would mention this...I will try to remember the sites that I looked at...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:23am
post #6 of 7

Been there, done that. Twice. I really, really, really have to be out of room everywhere before I do it now and even then I put a note on the stove to remind me.

I use disposable piping bags for chocolate. When it hardens, I nuke it a bit until it's melted again. However, I don't work with chocolate very much and I know the bag breaks down in the microwave after awhile.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #7 of 7

Joining the club here.
Once I melted the plastic handle right off a knife. icon_cry.gif
At least it was laying on a cookie sheet at the time so the mess was minimal.
So much for a matched set of knives! icon_mad.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%