Luster Dust Help

Decorating By romansfamily Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm by romansfamily

romansfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romansfamily Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #1 of 8

i am painting on fondant approx area will be 10x18in area. should I color the fondant first? or just paint over the white how much luster dust do i need I have 3 containers (2g. each)

7 replies
romansfamily Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 8

want to add would you just dust it dry?

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:04am
post #3 of 8

You can either add a pure extract of some sort or a liquor such as vodka or ever clear. I think the liquor is best because it evaporates quickly and leaves no taste behind just the dust. Also in my experience you shouldnt need even one whole container of the dust unless you want your color to be deeper then you might need more. The liquor will evaporate quickly so you may have to keep adding liquid. If you brush it on dry though the dust will just come right off. As to adding the color to the fondant Ive never needed to. Ive just painted white fondant or royal icing and its colored it just fine. And to add it I just use a soft unused (well unused except for the luster dust) makeup brush that you can find at any store or a paint brush would work to. Hope this helps.

romansfamily Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:08am
post #4 of 8

thank you so much i order so many and thought about overnighting more in. This is a extremely important cake (make or break) for my normal 9 to 5 job so i am so nervous. And new to this whole cake world so any help is awesome and greatly appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 8

I really think you will be fine especially if you have three. It shouldn't take that many but I can understand wanting to be safe when it comething to something that is a make or break thing. You might want to even consider trying out the dust on just a little piece of fondant just to get the feel of it before you start on the whole cake. Good luck with it.

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 8

I just finished an ice skating theme cake. The whole top was to look like ice with luster dust, but my poofy brush has been misplaced....Kids were sleeping, could not get to the store so.....Brand new pair of nylons out of package, cut a square and made a sort or pouch full of luster dust. I just lightly patted all over the cake and voila! Saw a tutorial on youtube where the baker used this technique for icing sugar. It totally worked!!!!!
I applied it dry and will steam the cake before delivery. That, I am thinking should set the dust. HTH

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 8

WOW...sorry about the typos!!!! Kids crawling all over me!!!

romansfamily Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 8

turned out great less that 2g of luster dust painted on dry over white fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%