Buttercream Disaster

Baking By Hassall Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm by Hassall

Hassall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hassall Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 18

Could anyone please tell me where i went wrong ? I wanted to colour my buttercream light blue,but when i put a little of the colour in,nothing happened??? NO COLOUR?? it came out looking like i hadnt put any colour in at all,i dont know where i went wrong icon_sad.gif . I put a little flavouring in,would that have made it not take?

I would be so grateful for your help please,thank you.

17 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 18

What type of coloring are you using..Brand?What color did you try?

Hassall Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 18

Hello,thank you for your reply.....i used a good brand,and the colour i used was blue....i mixed it in well,but it just didnt colour?? i also tried another colour,and the same thing happened?? im so disappointed,has im new to all this cake decorating,im trying to teach myself,i normally use fondant,but wanted to have ago at buttercream,thank you icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 18

Hmmm..What recipe are you using for Buttercream then..I have never heard a color like blue not take..only a tiny bit starts turning the icing....maybe it's the BC recipe itself...

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 18

that is so bizarre? Are you using Wiltons? Amerigel? Maybe you got a bad batch? I have NEVER had coloring not change the frosting's color! I can't even begin to imagine what happened??
When you say you have only used fondant, you do mean that you have put butter cream under your fondant right? Have you used that same coloring on your fondant?

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 18

What is the name of the good brand that you used?

Hassall Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 18

To be honest ive only made buttercream twice icon_cry.gif and it was a very old receipe.....i used Stork margerine,Icing sugar?? I feel so stupid lol,obviously my fault!! Think im going to have to look up Buttercream receipes! Thank you again icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 18

I think you may need to try a different icing recipe because I too can't imagine why it did not color at least a tiny bit....There are lots of great BC recipes on here.Indydebi has one and so does Sharons Sugarshack.

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 18

If your buttercream recipe is composed of butter, instead of shortening, you will have to use an oil-based coloring (the kind you use to tint candy). Hope this helps!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 18

You need to tell us the name of the brand. I have used supercook and Wilton to colour butter based bc without problems. (I'm assuming from 'stork' you are in the uk)
How much did you add - it can take a bit to actually turn blue rather than pale.
xx

Hassall Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 18

I live in the UK! Yes it was supercook that i used.....thank you all for helping me...i will browse around on here for a good buttercream receipe! icon_smile.gif xx

Bunnyhugger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunnyhugger Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 18

If you use an oil based colour it should take, use the same ones as you would for colouring regalice, such as SugarFlair.

Just a tip too, if you're new to this and you're in the UK, you'll see shortening and Crisco mentioned on here amongst the BC recipes and you'll feel really frustrated cos you can't get that here - you can, it's called Trex!! Took me ages to figure this out! If you're using BC as an alternative to fondant you'll need to stiffen it up a little, which is where the Trex comes in, just substitute about 25-40% Trex for butter/marg and you should have a nice stiff BC that's great for piping, holds it's shape and doesn't melt so easily. icon_smile.gif

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdocmom

If your buttercream recipe is composed of butter, instead of shortening, you will have to use an oil-based coloring (the kind you use to tint candy). Hope this helps!

Really? I've never had the wilton gel colors not work out in my all butter buttercream.

Hassall Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 18

Hi and thank you for your help! Wouldnt Trex make the buttercream taste not very nice?? ive never heard of sugarflair?? Does anyone have a good buttercream receipe i could use please,?? hopefully the next time i use it the colour will take lol.....guess you learn by your mistakes lol x

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:01am
post #15 of 18

I would try adding more coloring before I tossed it. Perhaps a little bit just wasn't enough.

Bunnyhugger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunnyhugger Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 8:09am
post #16 of 18

The Trex doesn't change the taste for me, though my OH thinks it makes the texture a little gritty but I think it's barely noticeable.

You can get the Sugarflair colours in most cake decorating shops and also some good deals on ebay, about £2 each and very concentrated.

I use 8oz icing sugar to 4oz butter (or 2 1/2 butter and 1 1/2 trex for stiffer cream) and it never lets me down. I add vanilla or whatever flavour right at the end and some times a little milk if necessary. Add the milk a drop at a time cos once overdone, it's hard to go back. That's enough to generously fill and crumb coat an 8" sponge.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:00am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdocmom

I use butter in my bc all the time and use wilton or americolor and never had issues with coloring

Hassall Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you Bunnyhugger and everyone else who has replied,you all have been so helpful. thank you x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%