Stood In Line For 2 Hours For Sprinkles Cupcake Last Night..

Lounge By amygortoncakes Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 11:04pm by Herekittykitty

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #31 of 35

There are a couple specialty cupcake shops downtown where I work and I have tried them - really really drycupcakes (but I did like the fact they weren't sweet - unfortunately there was also no flavor) The icing was good. But for $4 a cuppie...I never bought them again. I honestly think even Safeway cupcakes were better despite the strong shortening taste in their icing. At least they have enough turnover to keep them freshicon_smile.gif I wish there was a scratch cake recipe that had staying power and could stay nice and moist without all the chemicals of a cake mixicon_sad.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #32 of 35

Come to think of it, isn't the founder/owner of Sprinkles one of the judges on Cupcake Wars?? (She certainly pulls no punches when it comes to laying it on the line with the contestants!!.....)

If she is, *in the famous words of Ricky Ricardo* She's got some 'splainin' to do! icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:24am
post #33 of 35

I use Amy's Bread's recipe for yellow cake for cupcakes. It isn't my favorite, but others really like it. It is very light and it forms a sugary crust on top. It is better after a few hours to overnight. I only use it personally, not in business. I made it once for my daughter's friends and they keep requesting it. They eat them before they are iced too.

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:08pm
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

This gave me a good chuckle! Ah, the Sprinkles cupcakes... the closest one we have in the Bay Area is about 30 minutes south in Palo Alto, and I've been tempted to make the drive just to taste one. I live in snobish San Francisco where no matter how good something is, if it came from a chain people automatically claim it "sucks". The big cupcake place here is Kara's Cupcakes, people used to line up around the block for those things and actually fight for the last one - then Kara opened 8 (or so, maybe more) stores and has a mobile truck - same product, but people now claim they "suck".

Mob mentality cracks me up!

My DH went on a trip to San Francisco a couple of months ago and I asked him to bring me back a cupcake, lol. He came back with a cupcake from Kara's and I wasn't impressed at all. Just didn't taste like anything special.
Some of the best cupcakes I've had were in Chicago. Sweet Mandy B's and Chaos Theory are soooooo yummy! Although, Chaos Theory might have gotten me because my cupcake had about a million sprinkles on top and I love me some sprinkles, lol. icon_biggrin.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:04pm
post #35 of 35

I've had Sprinkles. Didn't care for it. There was WAY too much frosting and the cake was eh. My mom and sister were dissapointed too and they aren't nearly the cake snobs I am. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%