Does The Type Of Mixer Attachment Matter?

Baking By JanessaJo Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 4:52am by FEIwannabe

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:19am
post #1 of 3

I have been using a cheap hand mixer to make frosting, the frosting turns out looking like crap, and I have a good feeling it is because of the mixer. I'm leaning toward a kitchen aid but the cheaper options are more appealing to me. I have noticed though that the attachment that kitchen aid has isn't offered with other mixers (the one that looks like an arrow, sorry I don't know the proper name)

So, I am wondering if the type of attachment matters? and which one makes better frosting (if any do).

I am having a horrible time with my frosting looking dry (and no I'm not putting in too much PS, most of the time I put half of what the recipe calls for) and it looks really grainy and a lot of my friends are wanting me to make cakes for them here lately and I just want my frosting to look good =(

Thanks!

2 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:27am
post #2 of 3

If you are talking about the paddle attachment, that's the only one I use for both batter and icing. So to me it would be very important. The whisk attachment adds too much air to batters and icings. Kitchenaids usually come with the paddle, whisk and dough hook. Mine did.

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:52am
post #3 of 3

I have the smallest Kitchen Aid mixer: 4.5 quarts and only 250 watts. It does fine with cake batters and icing. I have a feeling it would struggle with bread dough, but I've never tried.
It may be an option if you're tight on cash, because they can be found for under $200 if you find a great sale somewhere. I got mine at Target a few years back for an awesome price (on sale).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%