Base Recipe

Lounge By pastryqueen9 Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 9:31pm by playingwithsugar

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 5

It was suggested to me that I develop a basic base recipe that I could use to just add flavoring and other "extras" to to make different flavors. I'm not really sure where to begin with this or even if this is an appropriate practice in baking. I mean I've heard of this practice in cooking, like with sauces, a mother sauce can be made into many different sauces, but can this actually be done with cake? I've looked at my recipes (which are all old family recipes) and they are all different in terms of amount of leavening, flour, the use of butter vs oil, I never dreamed of changing them. Would having a "mother batter" if you will, make all of the cakes taste similar? I like the uniqueness of the recipes, but it was suggested to me to create a base recipe in the interest of time and streamlining my baking business. I would love to know what my caking community thinks. TIA

4 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

Well seriouscakes has her base yellow cake and she exchanges the extracts to develop different flavors. I made it for my birthday and its very moist and its good for carving. exellent recipe.
Try this out and see if you like it...Hope this helps

http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=532

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 5

There's a recipe on here for Master Mix with all the various ways to make it into different flavors.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 5

i ue a victoria sponge base. so they are all similar in texture, but taste very different. all yu do is add the various flavours - lemon zest, cocoa, or extracts.
xx

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 5

It's good that this subject was brought up again. We haven't discussed it in a long time.

There are also master mixes that not only make cakes, but cookies, muffins, biscuits, etc.

Most of them are available online if you google the term

master mix

and find the ones that are available through college and university cooperative extensions or food/nutrition programs.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%