Royal Icing Tiara??

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 12:40pm by labrat

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 14

hello,

so i made my first royal icing tiara and loved it! it didn't crack! however i'm wondering how do people get it silver? usually i paint with vodka and petal/shimmer dust but won't the vodka dampen the RI causing it to break?

Also I see some people who only do portions of the tiara in color... like the pink or the gems and how do I do that... do I just pipe the heart or gem in the color I want it to be or is there a way to paint it?

help!

Also my sister-in-law wants me to make a RI tiara for her daughter next month and she wants her daughter's name on the tiara... so what's the best way to do that? Do I pipe her name directly on the wax paper omitting some of the swirls in it's place? then continue piping around it? Or do I pipe the 1st layer of swirls and then pipe her name over top of it? Her name is Ava so it's short and should fit just not sure how to go about it?

13 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 14

just use your normal paint, it will be fine. the alcohol evaporates quickly so it doesnt pose a threat to the ri.
as for colour - you can just add colour (preferably not glycerine based, it weakens the icing) to your royal icing, possibly then dry brush or paint over it, or just paint over white ri. you can also get edible gems to stick on, or use unedible ones as long as they know its not edible and to be removed.
for fitting in a name, i would probably make it as normal, and seperatly pipe the letters for her name, then stick them on once everythings dry.
xx

sarascakecreations Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #3 of 14

brincess_b

thanks so much! I will try to paint with my powder colors first and see how it goes. I have seen the edible gems but I don't know where I can find them in Toronto, Ontario?? I've seen them online but those take up to 2 weeks to arrive or more :s

Also great idea about making the name seperate then glueing it on, I would have never thought of that!

Thanks!

sarascakecreations Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 14

Does anyone know where to buy edible gems or diamonds in Toronto or around Toronto Ontario? I went to my local supplier McCalls and they sold like a little vial with a bunch of them in there for like $20 eeesshh! I only need like 4 or 5 of them?

OR

Am I better off buying some Isomalt and making them myself? I never have so it makes me nervous!

I'd much rather buy them.

S.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:51am
post #6 of 14

Make them yourself WAY cheaper and super easy. I've done them a few times and they turned out great just remember not to touch them much they get fingerprints on them and smudge, taking away all the sparkle.

suziecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suziecupcake Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:30am
post #7 of 14

i use edible spray paint in silver when i make a tiara !!

sarascakecreations Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 14

ok so i'm going to make them myself! and should i just make it at home with corn syrop??? or buy the isomalt stuff??

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 14

I think the isomalt is clearer making a nicer gem. Have fun with them! I now add flavors and they are a fun surprise for people.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 14

I made mine with royal and painted silver. Ended up making 3 b/c painting on the silver weakned the royal and the tiara/s broke. To make life easier: tint your royal grey and then dust with silver dust to give it sparkle. Wish I had found that tip before doing the tiara.

The origial tiara had edible gems that made out of isomalt, the 3rd, and final, tiara had non edible faux gems b/c I ran out of home-made gems. I added the gems while the royal was still wet, just don't press too hard.

It was a 3rd birthday and I wanted to put the 3 in the tiara, so I just adjusted the pattern found to accomodate the number and piped it right in. Worked great, AVA is easy to incorporate and it will look neater. Paint the words a different color (or use royal in a different color).

You can see it on the princess cake in my photos.

HTH

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 14

Buy the premade isomalt sticks..all you have to do is melt them i nthe microwave...and only how much you need..Pour into molds and Viola...I think they are called cakeplay...google that word and you'll find it.Very easy and resonably priced.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:29am
post #12 of 14

I think I missed this part ...how do you make them yourself? I know where to get isomalt...but where can I find the gem molds?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:12am
post #13 of 14

I made the ones for this crown out of isomalt, and the sugar tiles on the next cake are made out of plain sugar. Plain sugar has a yellow hue to it, and gets sticky faster. Distilled water also helps keep the color true.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1603002

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1565615

I got the molds at http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/hardcndy.htm, if that does post, just google sugar gem molds. sugar craft has them for $1.99.

If the gems get dull, brush them with some light vegetable oil before serving. I'm going to have to check out the isomalt sticks. Thanks Kiddiekakes, those sound like they'd be easier.

labrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labrat Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 14

You can get Cake Play, the molds or even edible gems at Icing Inspirations (www.icinginspirations.ca) in Kitchener. Flour Confections (www.flourconfections.ca) in Ajax carries the molds too, and may carry the edible gems. Both have excellent shipping times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%