Modern Looking Cake: Stacking/serving Question

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 3:41pm by CakeCrystals

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:07am
post #1 of 6

I posted this in How Do I but got no bites, so I though I'd try over here.

Hello!

This is a new cake just posted, and I LOVE the design...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1911055

My questions are about the size of the tiers, this cake looks like a 10 inch (4" high), an 8" (6 inches high) and a 6" (4 inches high). Obviously the middle tier has an extra layer, so is there extra support to make sure the center tier doesn't collapse on itself? Is it cut the same? How do you adjust the serving amounts? I don't even know what this technique or stacking is called, is there a name?

Thanks!
Jen

5 replies
rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:24am
post #2 of 6

I would call it a tall tier. I would do two 4 inch cakes for the middle layer with a cake board between them. then cut to the board so you essentially have 2 4 inch cakes . Otherwise you end up with giant slices that don't fit on a cake plate. plus the extra support is better

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:54am
post #3 of 6

That's what I though, I figured there has to be an extra cake board and some support, but I just wanted to make sure. This style seems to be really popular right now so I want to be confident doing it!

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 6

that's a gorgeous cake.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 6

I have done the same thing,2- 4 inch high tiers with support in both tiers. If covering in fondant, keep the cake on the counter, if you set the cake up on pedestal to put fondant on it will tear from the weight of the fondant. The cake is beautiful!

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 6

It's really gorgeous and the artwork. I'm ordering the dvds on how to do this technique.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%