12X18 Pan Servings???

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm by KMKakes

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 9

I am in need of a large sheet cake that will feed 60 individuals. The largest sheet cake pan I have is a Wilton size 12x18. I noticed at the last two birthday parties of about 35 individuals, very little cake was left over afterwards. My concern is: what is the best way to get the 60 servings for a sheet cake? I have seen Wilton\\'s serving chart and it makes mention of the cake being 2 layers/4 inches high with the party and wedding serving size. I just don\\'t believe that using this size pan will be enough. help!

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 9

If double layer serves 98, why wouldn\\'t you believe you\\'d have enough cake for 60?

KMKakes Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 9

Again as stated earlier, I decorated cakes in the 12x18 cake pan and there was barely any cake left after 35 people cut into. If I recall correctly from the last party, the cake slices didn\\'t appear large at all. Anyone with this problem? I do realize the person cutting it plays a part in this too, yet shouldn\\'t there be more cake left over,i.e. wilton\\'s 72 party servings minus what was cut? Meaning shouldn\\'t there have been at least less than half a piece of cake?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 9

if you\\'re going by wiltons party serving chart of 72 for that size of cake that is a 4\\" tall cake, if you made a sheet cake (which is only 2\\" tall) then there would only be 36 servings, so if you got 35 servings out of the 2\\" tall cake you\\'re right on track.

when you have a cake 4\\" tall you cut the slices in half the size b/c they\\'re twice as tall.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 9

You decorated the cake in the pan? What?

First, turn the cake out of the pan and onto a cake board. That layer should be 2\\" tall. If you\\'re going to leave it at 2\\

KMKakes Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Sorry Leah_S, my second comment was typed wrong. I decorated a cake which WAS BAKED in a 12x18 pan. I haven't heard or seen ANYONE decorate a cake which is served in the pan to which it was baked to party guest. Not saying it couldn't be done, though, if someone else wanted to do so. Not my concern. Sorry for the typo.

Okay so I may need to possibly bake two 12x18 Single Layer sheet cakes that will be frosted side by side to make one cake to feed more than 60 individuals?

Or what would you do if you needed to feed 60-70 people, and the individual wanted it in a single layered sheet cake form (You know-1 rectangle shaped cake like at Publix,Wal-Mart, or at your neighborhood supermarket)?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKakes

Or what would you do if you needed to feed 60-70 people, and the individual wanted it in a single layered sheet cake form (You know-1 rectangle shaped cake like at Publix,Wal-Mart, or at your neighborhood supermarket)?

Two 11x15 1/3 sheets at approx. 35 servings apiece.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

KMKakes Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:31am
post #8 of 9

Awesome. Thanks CWR41. I am new as you can tell at figuring out serving amounts for single layers, double layers, etc.

Thanks again everyone.

KMKakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 9

Here's an update regarding the needed cake pan size: cooking two 11x15 cakes worked. Together as a single layered sheet cake it made enough to feed the 60+ people. The slices given out may have been cut on average by the server in 2x2 dimensions (of course some where sliced a little smaller and larger depending upon whom was served). Thanks again everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%