White Cake Problem!

Baking By Sweetlikeme Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 4:21am by tryingcake

Sweetlikeme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlikeme Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I have been using this white cake recipe for a while now. So far it has been great. Now all of the sudden (the past 3 times I have used it) the cake rises, spills over the sides of my pan and then has a big hole in the middle of the cake. What can I do?

6 replies
tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 7

Are you using mixes or is this recipe from scratch? Can you post your recipe?

Sweetlikeme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlikeme Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 7

It is from scratch. This is it.

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
3 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch (23cm) square baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a plate or cooling rack; then chill cake in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 7

There is nothing acidic in the batter to warrant so much baking powder. Try knocking it down to match the flour, 1 1/3 tsp, or about 1 1/2 should do it. Why it started to happen all of a sudden is hard to guess, but it could be it is over leavened.

Deeder1114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deeder1114 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7

I had the same problem recently with a box mix. I opened the oven to take a peek and both white cakes had peaked so high and the middle was gushing out of the top and spilling over the sides like a volcano. It looked more like a science project. Never has that happened before. After it was done, I simply cut the top off and it was really moist, but quite alarming.

lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

do you live at a high altitude? i do and if i do not altitude adjust my recipes the same thing happens to me. the eggs must be increased. the leaveners decreased. liquids increased. and sugars decreased.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:21am
post #7 of 7

If you've been using this recipe and all of a sudden there is an issue - and you haven't moved or gotten a new oven, I would guess it's NOT the recipe - Is the oven heating differently or distributing the air differently? If the recipe has always work ed- it's not the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%