Dries Like Ri But Tastes Like Glace

Baking By alvarezmom Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 3:56pm by carleen2140

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 19

I have very standard glave icing...PS, milk, corn syrup and flavoring...Tastes great, but it doesnt harden enough for my taste! I cant stack cookies.

Is there a recipe that some one uses that they wouldnt mind sharing with me? I want the nice taste of a glace but I want it harden like RI!

Thanks

18 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 19

maybe try to add some merengue powder

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 19

I use a recipe liek that and I can Stack them. Are you waiting long enough?

alvarezmom Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 19

Sweetheart, I leave them over night. I have an order for Saturday for some monkey's (just the head). Should I decorate them tonight so they have 2 days?

But normally I leave them over night.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 19

Sometimes it depends on the amount of corn syrup you put in on how fast it dries. I would try leaving them for 2 days icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 19

it sounds to me like you have too much liquid in your glace, what are you measurements for PS, milk, and corn syrup?
diane

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 19

I believe this is the recipe I have used in the past http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Cookie-Icing/Detail.aspx

alvarezmom Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

it sounds to me like you have too much liquid in your glace, what are you measurements for PS, milk, and corn syrup?
diane

I'll have to look at the recipe when I get home. But I thought the same so I added more PS and it becomes to thick to pipe with.

Jillfcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillfcs Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 19

I use Toba Garrett's Glace' Icing recipe and it dries very well.

Toba Garretts Glace Icing
Ingredients
1 lb. confectioners sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
flavoring as desired

Instructions
In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.

1.Divide to flavor and add color.

alvarezmom Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks Jill I printed her recipe earlier today.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillfcs

I use Toba Garrett's Glace' Icing recipe and it dries very well.

Toba Garretts Glace Icing
Ingredients
1 lb. confectioners sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
flavoring as desired

Instructions
In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.

1.Divide to flavor and add color.

I use Toba's recipe slightly modified. Instead of 3/8 each milk and corn syrup, i use 1/4...this is for flood. i add more PS for my outline consistency. i decreased the fluids so i could have more control over my flood which is espcecially handle for wet on wet work (it also dries quicker).

alvarezmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla84

I believe this is the recipe I have used in the past http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Cookie-Icing/Detail.aspx

This is the same recipe that I use.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:11pm
post #13 of 19

Could it be your location? I live in the NE and this is the recipe I use. It dries hard enough overnight to stack. You could try less milk and more corn syrup, or you could try putting them in the oven with the light on and see if that gives enough warmth to dry. Or put them where you can control the humidity. I don't know of it heat or humidity that is keeping them from drying.

alvarezmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 19

Linda, these are very good questions. I'm in Austin Texas. Humidity can be a problem at times. Right now it is really (well to us Austinites) cold.

I really would like to know what I can do because I LOVE the way they look when they start to harden and they taste so good! I really dont want to go back to RI!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 19

I used Toba Garret's recipe and added a lot more PS to make it thicker for outlining. It worked great, but 3 days later I saw white spots in the dried icing. I even added the white-white food coloring before I added any color to the icing. Disappointed since these cookies are already bagged and decorated! I'm going back to Antonia74 royal icing.

alvarezmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:23pm
post #16 of 19

msulli10, can you tell me how Antonia's icing taste? Does it taste anything like glace icing?

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 19

Hi alvarezmom, I'm too in Texas (Houston) and even though my experience is not with cookie icing, thought would give you some ideas as well.
Houston is really hot and humid during summer, so I waited until winter to make a wedding cakes I had been dreaming about (quilling bird in my photos) to make sure I can include this kind of work on my portfolio. So, made tons of swirls, let them dry, put the bird together and airbrushed... all these through one week. When assembled, I was very pleased with the results, took lots of pictures and was feeling pretty confident. Let the cake sitting on my foyer's table (cool place no air drafts nobody entering or bumping the table) BUT...next day while on my work decorations started to distort, slide and finally fell from the cake, when I got home the cake was a disaster!!!
At the same time I had decorations drying out for 16 small cakes that will deliver in 2 days, when I left home all were dry and hard, left them under the ceiling fan to ensure they will stand OK. All were soft too, the only way I got decorations to harden was placing overnight in oven with light bulb on.

That day was the coldest, but I guess the humidity was on it highest... maybe is the same in Austin

alvarezmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 19

what_a_cake, That sucks! I would have been so upset. I'll have to try the oven/light because I really dont want them to mess up when I take them to my friend.

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:56pm
post #19 of 19

drakegore
do you use anything to prevent spotting of the glace?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%