Toronto Based Cake Business From Home

Business By joyfulreverie Updated 11 May 2012 , 6:58am by BlueSkyGirl

joyfulreverie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfulreverie Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:27am
post #1 of 10

Anyone know about the law for Toronto or Scarborough on home cake business?

9 replies
Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 10

I would contact the local health department. I know it varies per province, I'm in NB, but I just called the Health Department, Health Inspector, and they have all the answers. Hope that helps.

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 10

I'm two hours north of Toronto and I phoned the local Municipal Office, which they said it was fine and I knew better so I called the local Health Unit. I spoke directly with the Health Inspector who informed me of the rules for my area which were.

Must have a separate kitchen/ovens.
Must have a separate entrance
Must have separate plumbing
No pets (kind of obvious)

If you are attaching to your home and adding it on to your home you first need to call the Municipal office and obtain the permits from the building inspector. After which you make a rough draft of the space (doesn't have to be perfect) of the room you will be using and submit that to the health inspector for review. Once your plans are approved and you have the proper permits you can build and have the health inspector back.

You cannot use your home oven or kitchen that you use on a daily basis. I wasn't aware of this, I was all excited because I thought I had all of the above in place except the fact the kitchen is shared with my family and that's a big no-no. I'm currently searching for a commercial kitchen to rent and that search is going about as well as if I wanted to suntan in a snowstorm. :-/

Since you are in Toronto though, you have many options for commercial kitchen rental. Here is one I found during my search that's too far away for me but might work for you:

Best of luck icon_smile.gif

cakeandparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandparty Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 10

Toronto sound the same as Surrey BC. *sigh* I live in a townhouse.

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 10

Marcie, I know I was really discouraged as well but I am going through a list of local halls and commercial kitchens trying to find something to rent. Someone also mentioned possibly bartering with a local business to use their kitchen in exchange for free cakes they can sell at their restaurant etc.. So another option to think about maybe?

cakeandparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandparty Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:46am
post #6 of 10

I recently got accepted into a business program which helps you start up a business. My business plan was for a home based business. I just called the Health Board and got the bad news, not only no food production but also no retail businesses are allowed from homes in surrey.

I ran a small retreat centre in a small town in BC and we had no problem getting the license to do the business in our home. The health inspector came to the house and gave us the ok. Just had to write food safety plans for everything on the menu.

Now I am looking at leasing a commercial kitchen, not cheap in the greater Vancouver area.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 10

I'm just outside of Ottawa and I called the health dept. and she said they couldn't inspect a private home and as long as I was "not that busy" I was fine to do cakes. Once I was busy, I needed a separate kitchen, three sinks, etc.... I told her I was doing 1-3 cakes a month right now. So what exactly is "busy"? .....I don't know. She did send me all the info for when I was ready.....seems pretty straight forward.

BlueSkyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueSkyGirl Posted 10 May 2012 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 10

Did anybody Toronto/Scarborough have any success in finding some licenced kitchen rental space?

My decorating teacher said try local churches as they are licenced and may be reasonably priced. The cost for the kitchens that I have seen throw off the whole profit margin.

There are SO many people doing it at home ANYWAY in Toronto despite all of this red tape...

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 10 May 2012 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 10

This seems to be the only place I've ever found.

THis is a good article too.

BlueSkyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueSkyGirl Posted 11 May 2012 , 6:58am
post #10 of 10

OK, Thanks. Thanks for the gov. link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%