1950's Style Cake?

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 8:16pm by aligotmatt

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:38am
post #1 of 31

A lady called me today, it's for her husbands 30th birthday. This is what I got from her, 1950's hollywood glamour cake. Like Breakfast at Tiffany's. He loves that time period, watching old movies, especially when they pull up in the gangster cars, he really loves them. Wishes he lived in that time period. Not movie themed like film and stuff. Black, Red, Silver and White. price is no concern. 35-45 people

I've been pondering it for the last 10 hours and every time I start to feel inspired, I realize it's really girly. I have a whole paper of pretty feminine styled 50's glamour designed cakes.

We have men in trench coats and fedoras, smoking and drinking, some crooner swooning kind of stuff... I started thinking maybe really chic and black with white cut outs to make designs, like this http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1884756 but then I don't really know what I would put on the cake.

The party is in 11 days, which is why I think my brain kind of shut off...

30 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 31

It's the glamour that makes this one tough. First thing I think of is a white cake with large black polka dots. The ribbon might be cool with cutouts on it; or pearls. But I love the concept and I'm searching for ideas for you. Hopefully I'll be back posting some ideas. But that's my first one.

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 31

Would red with white polka dots and a black ribbon be glamourous enough? Something like this, but change the bow to a bowtie..
http://www.cakechannel.com/images/polkadot-sweetness-cake-21286056.jpg

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:21am
post #4 of 31

A nice tuxedo cake works for every decade, just figure the style from the 50's.

Oh,

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:24am
post #5 of 31

A grey tophat and cane?

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:27am
post #6 of 31

Try watching the movie, L.A. Confidential. It's set in 1950s Hollywood.

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:33am
post #7 of 31

Ok, I know this one is silly,. but I can't get the image out of my head. A shoe box, or dance floor, or any base, and a wingtip shoe on top. icon_lol.gif

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:36am
post #8 of 31

A 50's syle champagne bucket with a bottle of champage in it.

Geez, I'm having fun looking, and I feel like there is just the perfect idea out there and it's right at my fingertips, but I can't quite get it. But I'm hanging in there. I can easily see how this has had your brain working overtime all these hours.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:37am
post #9 of 31

I think of Susan Hayward, pencil skirts, pill box hats, Debbie Reynolds, swing coats, things like that. I don't know if that will help any though.

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #10 of 31

I kept coming across this cake, but thought, ewwww, horizontal stripes. But this site not only has the photo of the cake, they have the step by step instructions for it too.

http://www.weddingpath.co.uk/wedding-planning/reception-cake-to-make/1563

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #11 of 31

Well I grew up in the 50s and whenever my mom made a cake, she ended by putting her fist thru it icon_smile.gif if that helps lol

madgeowens Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:20am
post #12 of 31

saddle shoes, hoola hoops....cyd charise, debra kerr, cary grant(yum).....bobby sox.......juke boxes

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:45am
post #13 of 31

When my husband and I got married, we did our entire wedding like it took place in 1955, everything from the decor, the the clothes, to the music. I grew up on 50s movies and music and I would just adore doing this! How about a polished wood "floor" as your board, with a black wrapped "gift" box with white satinized gum paste bow. In front of that a classic men's wing tip shoe. A top hat perched on the top of the gift with a pair of men's white gloves out of gum paste. To top it off how about a single red rose "boutonniere". I would stay away from polka dots, you'll get too feminine. Something classic and very Fred Astaire...oh I am so jealous!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #14 of 31

what about a 3-d fedora hat with some black and white wing tipped shoes and have the cake board with a collage of iconic 1950 images

cakemeech201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeech201 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:53am
post #15 of 31

i keep thinking thin pin stripes, cigars, fedora... good luck icon_cool.gif

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:58am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluSweetArt

When my husband and I got married, we did our entire wedding like it took place in 1955, everything from the decor, the the clothes, to the music. I grew up on 50s movies and music and I would just adore doing this! How about a polished wood "floor" as your board, with a black wrapped "gift" box with white satinized gum paste bow. In front of that a classic men's wing tip shoe. A top hat perched on the top of the gift with a pair of men's white gloves out of gum paste. To top it off how about a single red rose "boutonniere". I would stay away from polka dots, you'll get too feminine. Something classic and very Fred Astaire...oh I am so jealous!

I LOVE this idea - if possible I think you should definitely go with something like this. I LOVE 50s movies and this would definitely make me think of the 50s, Hollywood Glamour, Fred Astaire and the likes...and would definitely be very guy-friendly. GOOD LUCK!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:11am
post #18 of 31

Christopher Garren did one on amazing wedding cakes of a couple from that era ballroom dancing it was very glamorous.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:24am
post #19 of 31

I don't know if I can articulate my thought but I will try. What about a "face" cake of Al Capone with his Fedora hat pulled slightly over one eye as he is touching the brim of his hat with one hand as though he were "tipping his hat".

DaPom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaPom Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:59am
post #20 of 31

I like the picture that imagenthatnj posted with the 1950's pin-up girls. Cute and fun. No I'm looking for ideas too. This sounds like such a fun cake to make.
Once I find something for you, I have to move on to find ideas for either a Jeep (1960's era CJ-5) cake or a Nascar cake for my 1st January Birthday.
icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:15am
post #21 of 31

Al Capone died before the 50s, I think he died in late 40s.

Breakfast at Tiffany's was done in 1961. The book written in 1958 (so it was at the end of the 50s).

I think gangsters go back more towards 40s.

Fedoras started losing popularity at the end of the 50s. They were more popular during the 20s through 40s.

I think 50s were more represented by rock 'n roll, pin-up girls, Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Brigitte Bardot...and yes, Audrey Hepburn, but she didn't do that movie till the 60s. Marilyn Monroe? The Seven Year Itch?

These are movies from the 50s, if that helps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_in_film

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:36am
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPom

I like the picture that imagenthatnj posted with the 1950's pin-up girls. Cute and fun. No I'm looking for ideas too. This sounds like such a fun cake to make.
Once I find something for you, I have to move on to find ideas for either a Jeep (1960's era CJ-5) cake or a Nascar cake for my 1st January Birthday.
icon_smile.gif

I'll PM you my list of photos, DaPom. Don't want to hijack this thread.

DaPom Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:49am
post #23 of 31

How about a black and white checkerboard pattern with some 1950's "postcards" including icons of the time... diners, 57 Chevy, pin up girls, etc?

Another Fun idea... http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1950%27s+cake&view=detail&id=16A89EC2F51CF6B2AE4999AC4E5A5ED552DD16DF&first=1&FORM=IDFRIR&qpvt=#

1957 Chevy http://www.leonstransmission.com/images/img_57chevy.jpg

Diner http://www.pbase.com/gwcoles/image/61625621

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:21am
post #24 of 31

How about a diner scene w/ a black and white checker floor "board", a diner booth maybe black and quilted w/silver trim , a gumpaste table . maybe the booth could be L shaped. idk, and maybe make silver milkshake cups and ketchup and mustard bottles.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:42am
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Al Capone died before the 50s, I think he died in late 40s.

Breakfast at Tiffany's was done in 1961. The book written in 1958 (so it was at the end of the 50s).

I think gangsters go back more towards 40s.

Fedoras started losing popularity at the end of the 50s. They were more popular during the 20s through 40s.

I think 50s were more represented by rock 'n roll, pin-up girls, Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Brigitte Bardot...and yes, Audrey Hepburn, but she didn't do that movie till the 60s. Marilyn Monroe? The Seven Year Itch?

These are movies from the 50s, if that helps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_in_film

These are exactly the same things I was thinking. Gangsters, Capone, Hollywood glamour was WAY before the 50's. Birthday Boy may have WATCHED those movies as a kid in the 50's, but those things didn't take PLACE in the 50's. The 50's were bikers, black leather jackets and DA haircuts (think FOnzie), poodle skirts, Elvis, bobby sockers, hot rod cars (think returning servicemen from the war), etc.

What the original post described sounded more like Hollywood glamour of the 40's to me.

DaPom Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:54pm
post #26 of 31

He didn't watch those kinds of movies in the 50's if this is for his 30th birthday LOL. How about a black leather jacket draped over a red vinyl soda fountain stool? I kept dreaming about James Dean last night... since this tread was the last thing I read before going to bed. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:32pm
post #27 of 31

Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers is more 40s......I agree....50s is more like Happy Days...the fonze, elvis etc....I grew up in the 50s, so the cars back then you should google maybe.....saddle shoes....jukebox....etc.....google and see what you get....I remember those dang scratchy petticoats grrrrrrrrr......lol

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:41pm
post #28 of 31

Thanks for all of the ideas. Maybe they are just decade confused, she didn't say a single juke box, diner kind of thing. Maybe it's more 40's they are thinking, but I'm thinking fedora, black box with a white ribbon, and the wood floor seems more what they're looking for. I'll email her with a few ideas.

Again thank you thank you!! I'll let you all know what she says

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluSweetArt

I love, love, LOVE this idea.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:58pm
post #30 of 31

I did a reunion cake this summer from the 50's...what I did was copy pictures from that era of album covers, cars, tv shows, etc. and had someone made an edible image in the form of a film strip and placed it around the cake...you could do the same. In the center I had to put a pic of the school. It was awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%