Help Me Find A Picture Please

Decorating By Donnagardner Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 6:10pm by Unlimited

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 31

I am looking for a picture of the Wilton cake with a leaf tip piped in the middle of the tiers. I have seen it here but can't find it now. I have to make a replica of a cake for a 60th wedding anniversary and they want me to match the picture but it is very poor quality. I want to show them this picture and see if this is more along the lines of what they are asking for since I can't really see what is in the photo. Thanks for all your help. Happy Caking.

30 replies
warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

I am looking for a picture of the Wilton cake with a leaf tip piped in the middle of the tiers. I have seen it here but can't find it now.

If I'm understanding correctly, the leaf tip was used to pipe a ribbon around the center section of each tier, right?

I've searched the Wilton site, but nothing stood out that looked like that.
I did a google search... again, no results for what I think has that look.
There are too many pages that come up on a CC search to sort through without more information.

Do you remember what color the cake is, if there's a color theme, or more details about the image (perhaps the name of the member that uploaded it)?

Donnagardner Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 31

Yes CWR41 that is what I am talking about.

Donnagardner Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 31

Thanks warchild but that is not the one.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 31

Nope, not either of those but thanks for helping me look. I have heard it is in the blue wilton wedding book. Anyone have that book?

CWR41 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:07am
post #9 of 31
Quote:

I have heard it is in the blue wilton wedding book. Anyone have that book?

I have the blue book "The Wilton Book of Wedding Cakes" (Second Edition, Sixth Printing, May 1983), and there isn't anything like that inside.

Perhaps your picture is a poor copy that looks like it has a leaf tip border in the center section of a cake, but I still don't see anything that closely resembles that either... do you show a page number, or is it from another book?

(doesn't sound like anything from a Wilton publication unless it's the pink ruffled leaf tip in another book that is scalloped like a double garland in the center--one up, one down, beads added to seams, with a rosette in between.)

Donnagardner Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 31

CRW41, The pic I am looking at is 60 years old. It is not real clear so I can't tell what is really on the cake. The only thing I can come up with is to show her how it will look is the Wilton cake that I think is called Candlelight Romance. Is that cake in this book? Thanks for all your help.

CWR41 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:

...the Wilton cake that I think is called Candlelight Romance. Is that cake in this book?

No, it's not.

(I'm lost... how does a 28-year-old design appear in a photo that is 60 years old?)

Donnagardner Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 31

It is not that design in the 60 year old photo. I think it looks like it has some kind of piped ribbon (leaf ribbon maybe) in the center of each tier. I wanted to show her this cake design to see if it would be close enough for the cake she wants me to make. She is wanting me to try to match her parents wedding cake for their 60th anniversary but I can't tell what is on the cake in the picture she has. Thanks for your help in looking at your book.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 31

Could you post the poor quality picture? Maybe it would help your search, or someone could give you a better direction to go in?

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 31

This is the Candelight Romance cake and instructions from the Wilton site:
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Candlelit-Romance

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 31

This is the Wilton Candlelit Romance cake, but it doesn't look like it is decorated how you say, so I'm not sure it will be similar to what your customer is looking for.
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Candlelit-Romance

I also think you should try and attach the picture you have so we can see it, even if it is poor quality.

Dayti Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm
post #16 of 31

You beat me to it Manderly26 icon_biggrin.gif

Donnagardner Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #17 of 31

That is not the one either. Maybe I have the wrong name for the cake I am thinking of. I will pm you the photo and see if you can help me that way. Thanks again girls.

Donnagardner Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 31

I can not post the cake. It will not load even after I resized it. I will keep working on it. Thanks everyone.

CWR41 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 31

I've been searching for a photo of a leaf tip ribbon/border, but haven't found anything yet.

All you really need to do is get approval by showing the technique, so if you can't find a photo, can you just pipe a sample for her or make it on a dummy (snap a photo of your sample to e-mail if she can't see it in person).

CWR41 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 8:22pm
post #20 of 31

I found a leaf-tip border:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1303436

(maybe she can visualize it in the middle of a tier.)

Donnagardner Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #22 of 31

Thanks everyone. CRW41 I did show her the technique since I could not find a picture but she really wanted to see the cake because she is haveing a tough time picturing it. She is not very imaginative I guess. Thanks again for everyones help.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:17pm
post #23 of 31

It's been bugging me because I can picture the cake in my mind. Decided this afternoon since I'm snow bound, I made it a mission to find the cake I think it may be. It was the first cake in the first book I picked up this afternoon. LOL
"The Glow Endures" in the blue Wilton Wedding Cakes, A Romantic Portfolio.
Is this maybe the one you are looking for. I have it scanned but can't post in this topic.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #24 of 31

Sewsweet, if you have it scanned please post it to your "photos" as I would love to see what this cake looks like..

Dayti Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:03pm
post #25 of 31

If you Google "Wilton The Glow Endures" you can see images of a few peoples renditions of this cake, but not the original photo.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:29pm
post #26 of 31

this is one pic. trying to find the original. i have the book with it in it. will try to scan it also. you do use the 80 tip. could be 79,80.etc. position tip with curved area up and pipe , after making the lines with dental floss around the cake, using the same motion as you do when piping the shell. i think someone has already said that. hope this pic helps.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/1321684628068357780gBARsy

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:43pm
post #27 of 31

here is a pic from this site.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/48628

CWR41 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

If I'm understanding correctly, the leaf tip was used to pipe a ribbon around the center section of each tier, right?

Quote:

Yes CWR41 that is what I am talking about.

From what I can see, none of the cakes have a leaf tip ruffled ribbon (with the exception of the sheet cake that has a leaf tip ruffled ribbon border)... the others have lines that were piped similar to a shell border using a leaf tip with a back and forth motion, but not by letting the ruffle form by itself with constant pressure.

So... are you going to pipe a sample on a dummy to show her?

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:50am
post #29 of 31

Here's a picture of a reproduction on the net. http://www.cakeamerica.com/wedding-cakes/the-glow-endures-id-130-2639.aspx?biz=131-164
The border is done like a shell border using a #80 tip with the curve of the tip towards the cake.

Donnagardner Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm
post #30 of 31

sewsweet2 that is the cake I was looking for. I guess I had the wrong name for it. CRW41 I did show her on a dummy cake so she knew what I was trying to explain. Thanks to all of you guys for your help. This is such a wonderful group. Happy Caking Everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%