Toba's Glace Icing

Baking By Kathy107 Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm by Kathy107

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I made Christmas cookies with Toba Garrett's glace icing. As soon as I flooded the cookies there were numerous air bubbles. What did I do wrong? I used a hand held mixer and beat the milk and sugar for about 4 minutes. I added the corn syrup and beat for another minute or two.

5 replies
pattycakescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakescookies Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 6

I use Toba's glace icing and it doesn't give me any problems. I don't have the recipe in front of me but it sounds like you may have overmixed it and incorporated too much air into the icing. What type of mixer are you using? When you make it again try mixing the the milk and sugar for about a minute less. HTH.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 6

i suspect you beat a fair amount of air bubbles in with the hand mixer.
best if the blades are fully immersed in the icing, but so often the batch needs be smaller. so when you are fully mixed, turn your mixer down to the lowest setting it will go and beat for another 5 minutes.

also cover your icing and let it sit for a while before using.

lastly, i use a very pointy clay working tool (i used to just use a toothpick, but i love the long length of the clay tool...i don't know it's official name but it looks like a really long toothpick with a handle, lol) and pop any that survive as i flood).

also, i don't know if this will help with the bubbles, but i think for better icing, you need to blend the corn syrup and pS first, then add your milk or water.

hope this helps!

diane

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 6

I usually just mix it with a whisk by hand until just blended...that really helps with the air bubbles - at least for me! HTH

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 6

If you can make your icing the day before you need it and let it set over night, all the bubbles will come to the top. I just break them with my spatula and then it's ready to go.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%