Ideas For A Cowboy Hat Brim Please

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm by HowCoolGomo1

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 6

Decided my best friends' cake this year will be a cowboy hat.

I need ideas for shaping the brim and what everyone thinks it could be made from.

Ideally, I would love the brim to be made from a cookie she absolutely loves.

So far my ideas for the cookie idea is roll and bake in a oval pan. It's the curl part I can't wrap my brain around.

It would be like a tuille cookie, but what size pipe should I buy?

5 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 6

If you definitely want to make the brim out of a cookie, you have to be sure that the weight of the curl on the brim isn't too heavy to just break as/after it cools. And, you need to decide on the size of the hat before doing the cookie. I like the idea of that though. Maybe candy melts or something on the cookie to help it hold its shape?

We used fondant and used flower formers to get the roll the way we wanted to be be. It still took several days and we had to move the formers to allow the fondant to dry underneath it. Here is the one we did: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1328559

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:48am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

If you definitely want to make the brim out of a cookie, you have to be sure that the weight of the curl on the brim isn't too heavy to just break as/after it cools. And, you need to decide on the size of the hat before doing the cookie. I like the idea of that though. Maybe candy melts or something on the cookie to help it hold its shape?

We used fondant and used flower formers to get the roll the way we wanted to be be. It still took several days and we had to move the formers to allow the fondant to dry underneath it. Here is the one we did: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1328559

Thanks big time for answering and your advice. Got me thinking!

The cookie, when it tastes spectacular is extremely thin.

I did think of something to help me with curl. The foam things, that you wrap pipes, in the winter. Wrapped in saran wrap, will give me the curl. Now I just I have to figure out how to keep the front and back of the brim flat.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 6

Does this cookie stay soft enough for you to have time to roll it after ti's baked? I would think anything flat, and not too heavy will keep the rest of the brim laying flat. The nice thing is, you can make one now and try it, make sure it will work for you. For your next question, whether you've thought about it yet or not; the brim is done round and gets it's shape from the brim being rolled up. I'm anxious to see how it will work as a cookie, so please post a photo of it when you get it done. And good luck with it. I love the concept.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 6

Look up CC'er kimmycrocker, she has done several cowboy hat cakes, and they are amazing. She would probably be able to help you.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 6

cownsj

Quote:
Quote:

Does this cookie stay soft enough for you to have time to roll it after ti's baked? I would think anything flat, and not too heavy will keep the rest of the brim laying flat. The nice thing is, you can make one now and try it, make sure it will work for you. For your next question, whether you've thought about it yet or not; the brim is done round and gets it's shape from the brim being rolled up. I'm anxious to see how it will work as a cookie, so please post a photo of it when you get it done. And good luck with it. I love the concept.

visionsofprisms

Quote:
Quote:

Look up CC'er kimmycrocker, she has done several cowboy hat cakes, and they are amazing. She would probably be able to help you.

Thank you so much for your help. I was just on the verge of nixing the whole idea.

I realized I have 2 weeks for experiments. So I'm off to the store to get some eggs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%