1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

...and it turned out badly--both times I tried. I did cut it in half (but made it twice, so I doubt I calculated incorrectly both times). It seemed like the edges and tops were browning too quickly, almost burning, while the inside was liquid. The second time around, I turned the heat down and covered them loosely with foil. Didn't help. When they cooled, they sunk and shrunk and got hard like little hockey pucks (both times I tried). So, as a last resort, I went out and got white cake mix and made this recipe (http://www.howtoeatacupcake.net/2007/09/oreo-cookies-and-cream-cupcakes.html):
30 Oreo cookies
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
It turned out okay...the cupcakes had really nice domes in the oven, but still sunk/shrunk when they cooled. They tasted good, but didn't look impressive. Not something I'd be super excited to sell...especially since it involved cake mix. I want to make my cupcakes from scratch.
Anyone know of any way to remedy this or why this happens? I know it's nearly impossible to determine what I'm doing wrong...but does anyone know what causes cupcakes to sink/shrink/dry out and turn hard? Does it have something to do with the batter (since it's full of Oreo chunks)? I'm afraid to try again because I've wasted so many Oreos in the process. icon_sad.gif
I make cupcakes all the time...so I don't think it's my oven. ??

2 replies
GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #2 of 3

Seems like there should have been some liquid in that second recipe.

kimber59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimber59 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 2:02am
post #3 of 3

I made Oreo cupcakes today also. Used white cake mix as directed on package, glad I didn't use the sour cream. And I put small chunks in the batter. They turned out very nice. Sorry about yours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%