How To Make This Mario Mushroom??

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 4:15am by TiffySue

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 6

Hopefully the pic will attach.

The last time I made a mushroom for the top of the cake I did out of RKT. It ended up being very heavy and I was unsure how to attach it to the cake. Luckily it was for my son. icon_smile.gif

I want to give it another go and am wondering if there is a better way to make the mushroom and the best way to attach it to the cake.

TIA!

5 replies
TiffySue Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 6

Why does the pic never post??

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 6

what if you make the top styrophoam?

racechick311x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racechick311x Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 6

I have made one using the wilton pan that has the soccer ball lines on it and put it on its own board and made sure you couldn't see the board. For the bottom I used 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe and I hot glued it together.

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:00am
post #5 of 6

I made a mario cake with a mushroom as a topper made from RKT (in my pics) and what I did was I treated it like another tier. I placed a cardboard circle smaller than the mushroom in the footprint where i wanted to place it and supported it with some straws.

To attach the mushroom, I actually used a dowel that went through the tiers of cake and stuck up about 2 inches above the cake tiers. Then I made a hole in the bottom of the RKT Mushroom where the dowel was supposed to go (just so I wouldn't deform the mushroom when I was trying to shove it over the dowel.

To "glue" the mushroom on, I actually used melted white chocolate - I put some on the cardboard and some on the dowel before spearing the mushroom on top.

Hope this makes sense...

Aileen

TiffySue Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone for your ideas! I'm going to give it a go and lets hope it turns out looking like a mushroom! icon_smile.gifthumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%