Whip Cream Frosting

Lounge By holliellen Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 6:57am by holliellen

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I have to do a cake on Friday with whip cream frosting. Can anyone direct me to a good recipe for that? Do you make it thicker than normal whip cream so it stands up or how exactly to you do that??? I have only ever really used buttercream. My MIL wants a white cake with a layer of banana, strawberry, and raspberry with whip cream frosting. TIA
Hollie

4 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 5

If you can find 40% Heavy Cream, you can just whip it, adding some sugar (3-4 Tabl./pint) and Vanilla. Because of the high percentage of fat, it holds for days.

If you find "regular" heavy/whipping cream only, take 1 pkg. of knox gelatin and pour in on top of 3 oz. water. Once the water has absorbed all the gelatin, place that little bowl in a dish of hot water to melt it. After whipping the cream to medium peak, add the liquid gelatin and continue to whip to stiff peak (add Vanilla too).

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 5

I have used this recipe before and it worked well for frosting a cake. (I did not use it for filling) Basically you want what is called "stabilized" whipped cream frosting. The gelatin is the stabilizer.

1/2 tsp gelatin sprinkled in 1 tbsp cold water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Microwave until gelatin is dissolved. Careful to not overheat. Allow to cool (but not too long or it will become solid )

Whip 1 cup cream until it starts to stiffen. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2 tbsp powdered sugar. Mix. Drizzle the gelatin into the bowl and whip until desired stiffness. As with all whipped cream...do not overbeat.

Hope that works for you!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 5

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=0ARCzpgSS_N4TZGdqcXNqamNfNGdtc3E5c2Ro&revision=_latest

Information on using whipped icing, and a recipe for home made whipped icing (toward the bottom of the page) if you can't find Bettercreme or Pastry Pride types of premade whipped icings.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:57am
post #5 of 5

This is great thank you guys so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%