Urgent Help Needed! Making Waves

Decorating By michel30014 Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 7:01pm by michel30014

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:34am
post #1 of 11

Hey,

I'm in the middle of working on a cake. I am making an Aircraft carrier (the kind of navy ship with the airplane landing strip). I was having a problem with the fondant and didn't quite have enough to cover. I don't have time to make more mmf and recover. So, I pieced the edges together. I was trying to figure how to cover the pieces I somewhat melded together. I think I've figured out how to cover it but NOT sure how to do execute it.

I figured I would make crashing waves around the edges of the ship...

I don't have much fondant left, not enough time to make more, but I do have some buttercream icing. How do I make crashing waves around the edges of the cake and make it look good. Please help. I have to work tomorrow morning and must have this cake done tonight!

10 replies
Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 11

I am not a professional- but I have made buttercream water. If you tint the blue like 3 different shades of blue and kind of spread in waves with peaks, this should work. I know that some experts will pipe in here- but just incase they are all watching football etc. I thought I would share my thoughts. Good luck!

michel30014 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 11

Thank you so much! That does help!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 11

yeah, few different ways to do this. the above poster is one way. you could put the same multi blue tinted icing in a piped bag that has tip 32 (or a similar one...i think it's referred to as a shell border tip?) and just pipe it in the wave shape (like a half crescent moon). then blend some white into the tips of those waves to make the crest.

the good thing is you really can't screw up water waves b/c they all look different in real life, right?! some choppy, some smooth, some big, some small. good luck...i'm sure it will be great!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 11

Anytime I'm about to try something new I pipe it onto wax paper first to practice several time before trying it on my cake. Putting different blues into one piping bag should work but test it in wax/parchment first icon_smile.gif goodluck post pics when done!!!

michel30014 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:02am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie53

I am not a professional- but I have made buttercream water. If you tint the blue like 3 different shades of blue and kind of spread in waves with peaks, this should work. I know that some experts will pipe in here- but just incase they are all watching football etc. I thought I would share my thoughts. Good luck!

Hey, I know you said to spread in waves with peaks, but how are you using the 3 different shades. Do I need to start with a shade lighter and go over it with a dark blue? Is that what you mean?

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:12am
post #7 of 11

Do you have any clear piping gel? I've always thought it added a cool "water" effect if put over buttercream... you could tint that blue and either pipe it or swirl it into some white buttercream... just a thought icon_smile.gif

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:18am
post #8 of 11

That is one way- I usually kind of blend them together and then end up with the lightest blue and white at the top for the peaks. Don't be afraid to just play and experiment. Like another poster said- you can't screw it up. Maybe look at some pictures online and then print the one out that you like... just as a guide.

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:20am
post #9 of 11

I just did a cake with waves around the edges... I piped a mxture of buttercream & piping gel with a 32 tip for texture. The only thing I can say is the more imperfect/irregular, the better they looked. I also did a few sprays (looked like commas, sort of?) with a #2 tip above the waves. It's in my (very few) pics. HTH icon_smile.gif

michel30014 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I finished the cake and will post a finished later today or tomorrow morning! Again, THANKS TO EVERYONE!!
CC'er's are the best!

michel30014 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 11

Here's the final of the cake I promised I would post. Sorry, it took me a bit longer to get posted than usual.

Here's the cake though.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1907049.html

Thanks for looking! Appreciate any comments or constructive criticism. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%