Fresh Raspberries Filling. Do You Need To Refrigerate...

Decorating By cfpeoples Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 5:00pm by FayMakesCakes

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:27am
post #1 of 10

I have someone interested in having fresh raspberries used as filling. I work from my home kitchen and do not have room to refrigerate. If the cake is filled the day before ...literally about 24 hours, does it need to be refrigerated, or will the raspberries be o.k.? My house is cool...thermostat set to 62 (who can afford the huge gas bills icon_smile.gif )
Thanks so much for any tips!

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 10

Yes must frige. Because when the berries get a little squished from being inside a cake they juice out a bit and obviously it begins breaking down. Fermentation is on the way. Yes must frige 40 degrees or below not 62.

Would someone get sick probably not. But healthy people and those with compromised health would not be blessed knowing their utmost safety was not being privided for.

Part of my thought process--For example, if there was a problem with some other food at the event and an investigation ensued--you would want to reveal the best practices, the highest standards, nothing iffy. Which is why you asked of course and your answer is change the filling or hold it properly chilled.

We always want to deliver the safest product possible.

cfpeoples Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks k8memphis. This is what I suspected, so i am very grateful to have an answer. She will change her filling! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 10

<high five>

cfpeoples Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 10

What are your thoughts on keeping it in the delivery van? Too cold? It gets down into the teens at night here...probably about 25 in the garaged van. I don't want the fondant to get ruined.....condensation?
If it doesn't work out, she really is fine with an alternative raspberry preserve filling.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfpeoples

What are your thoughts on keeping it in the delivery van? Too cold? It gets down into the teens at night here...probably about 25 in the garaged van. I don't want the fondant to get ruined.....condensation?
If it doesn't work out, she really is fine with an alternative raspberry preserve filling.

I would frige preserves too. Sleeve filling I think is ok at room temp. Pretty sure.

Me, I would not count on the vagaries of the weather for a perishable cake. Too many variables. I would want a more constant temp not one that fluctuates. That's just me.

cfpeoples Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much for the info!!!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 10

I just made a couple of gallons of the stuff last night! I always refrigerate. Helps it set up and keeps it from spoiling. I do let everything come to room temp before using it though. I don't like any surprises!! If the cakes are going to settle when they warm up, I'd like to know right off the bat!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 10

Here's a recipe that uses (frozen) raspberries and Chambord (liquor) for a 2 day shelf stable filling:
(Could probably subsitute fresh for frozen with good results.)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4143/raspberry-puree-filling

HTH

FayMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FayMakesCakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 10

Is there a difference if I puree up frozen berries and add them to my buttercream? Does that need to be put in the fridge or once it's blended up and added to the buttercream does that eliminate the need for refrigeration?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%