Any Business Owners That Don't Do Wedding Cakes...?

Business By dst10spr97 Updated 27 Dec 2010 , 5:37am by MollyGirl_17

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 7

Eventually I want to really grow my cake business, but I want to focus on speciality cakes, I don't want to do any wedding cakes. I won't say never ever, but I know me, I don't feel like dealing with any Bridezillas or MOB zilla's. Wedding cakes just seem so stressful. Does anyone own a cake business but don't do wedding cakes at all? Just curious.

OT: Sorta. I just saw the warning message on the left that this site can be highly addictive. Now ya tell me. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 7

I am a small cake business and I don't do wedding cakes..I strictly do specialty cakes.The reason I choose not to do weddings is...#1..I don't deliver..I am pickup only as I am home based....and #2...I don't want the stress and responsibility of someones special day being ruined etc if something should happen.

I do quite well without offering wedding cakes....

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 7

I know of a caterer that doesn't cater weddings. He doesn't do cakes, just the meal, but there you have it. I'm sure there are other professionals that don't do weddings either. Photographers, Dj's, perhaps some beauticians. I used to work at a salon and we had one stylist there that wouldn't do up-dos, so she could kinda be a non-wedding stylist.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 7

I won't say no to a wedding cake but 90% of my business is speciality cakes and I do a good business. I am a cake design business, not a bakery and open by appointment only.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I won't say no to a wedding cake but 90% of my business is speciality cakes and I do a good business. I am a cake design business, not a bakery and open by appointment only.

Same here...the vast majority of our business is birthday cakes (with relatively simple designs) for kids, many of whom will be eating cake for the first time. We still do wedding cakes and cupcakes every once in a while.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #6 of 7

The majority of my business is specialty cakes as well. I have done 2 weddings so far and the are much more stressful for me as well. I do have 4 wedding for next year, and I'll see how that goes before I decide to do more.

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 5:37am
post #7 of 7

I think alot has to do with how you promote yourself. For me, I don't do birthday cakes because of my religious beliefs. So when people asked me about cakes I told them I specialized in graduation, anniversary and shower cakes. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%