Cream Cheese Icing Help

Baking By Cakeartist5523 Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm by genevieveyum

Cakeartist5523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeartist5523 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:08am
post #1 of 7

What am I doing wrong....I have tried three different cream cheese icing recipes and they always are soupy!!!
What am I doing wrong!!! I love other peoples frosting and am tired of throwing away good $$ when I cant even make a shell boarder out of it!

Anyone have an idiot proof recipe?

Thank you

6 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:07am
post #2 of 7
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:13am
post #3 of 7

this is my favorite cream cheese icing. It works just like a crusting buttercream
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:32am
post #4 of 7

The cream cheese recipe all my people want is the basic one.

1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 stick butter, 8 tbsp
2 tsp vanilla
very fine salt to taste
1lb pound of powdered sugar, sifted to get 3 3/4 cups of powdered sugar

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:42am
post #5 of 7

Make sure you are using the block cream cheese in the box - not the soft cream cheese in the tub.

Cakeartist5523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeartist5523 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 7

Oh Thank you so much, I can't wait to try them! I was near my breaking point of cream cheese hysteria! Lol, I said "Yes, I'd love to make your special cake"......... to three cakes and just noticed they all are due on the same day, all with cream cheese frosting!! (umm 1 cake can take me 2 to 3 stressful days!!
I gotta do it, So I wanted to get ahead of the game and be prepared and organized! These recipes will be a life saver I'm sure!

Question about "room temp" or "softened" butter and Cream cheese. How long do you let it sit out? Was wondering if mine were too soft to start with?
Also is sweet butter the same as salted butter?

Thank you all so much!!!

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 7

I have learned the hard way... if you overbeat cream cheese frosting it gets sticky and soupy and can not be recovered!!! I leave it out overnight, but in Virginia this time of year, my house is pretty cold and it doesn't get that soft. I always beat the cream cheese for a minute, scrape down, beat 30 more seconds and then I add smbc until it's the "right" taste. I don't like the crusting kind and this makes it really easy for me. It is also easier to control the sweetness this way.
I've got two stacked cakes in my gallery done with this type of cream cheese frosting- I've gotten nothing but compliments on the taste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%