A Tire Cake?

Decorating By Fluffers Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 2:00am by Fluffers

Fluffers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fluffers Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 13

So my brother wants a tire groom's cake. I know how to stack and all sort of. But what is throwing me off is the threads on the tire. Not like a tractor, but a truck. Would you suggest indenting them with a tool, or carving the cake to look like treads? It wuold be a lot of carving, but I think I'm up for it. It's free and I have nothing else to do. Thanks all I hope this is a sight I can learn lots from.

12 replies
stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 13

I'm glad you re-posted this question because I actually wasted precious time of my life that I cannot get back while reading the posts about rude people. All I can say is, they obviously have too much time on their hands to keep that post going around in circles!!!

Now, on to your cake idea. Here's an idea. Are you planning on covering the cake with buttercream and then fondant? If I was doing that, I'd have a nice layer of buttercream and then use a tool to make indentation marks in the fondant...being careful not to puncture through the fondant. I'll keep brainstorming this one and see if I can come up with something else. Do you have a picture for reference for this cake that we can see?

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 13

If you are covering with fondant, I would think that indenting the treads with fondant tools would be good. If you do a search in the galleries for 'tire' - there are few tire cakes that come up that can probably give you some ideas.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fluffers Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 13

See I saw some of each style and I just can't figure out which will look better by me, I mean I'm not horrible at cake but certainly not something I could sell. I think if I tried carving it would be a big mess. I think brother is getting nearly bald tires that shouldn't be too hard haha!

And yes buttercream and then fondant. I was going to do ganache but I don't think that would work well either. Too cold here now and it will not spread.

Fluffers Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 13

Jack's tire is perfect! Thank you for the link imagine. I can pull that off. So maybe he's only getting two tires, but hey he better appreciate it.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 13

I haven't had the need to make a tire cake but those are some pretty cool pics. Thanks for finding them Imagen.

Fluffers, Jack's tire would be my choice also. Now, Jack on the other hand - I could mangle him up pretty good - LOL!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 12:32am
post #8 of 13

Post a picture when you get it done! icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 12:45am
post #9 of 13

There is actually a fondant mold that just came out for tire treads..I can't remeber who carries it but I know it is about $49.00....I think Caljava carries it...

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 12:55am
post #10 of 13

My husband has done tires both ways, marking the fondant to get a specific tread for a very specific brand tire, and adding tread plus marking the fondant, more like a truck.

I don't know if you've thought about this, but to get the shape and not have to carve the cake, use the contoured pans and put them back to back, it works perfectly. Here is one we did using these pans... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1759060&sub=1759062

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 1:45am
post #11 of 13

Yep...Caljava has the mold.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 1:54am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyjode

Yep...Caljava has the mold.

I never heard of them before so I had to go look it up. Those tire molds are incredible... Their link is now saved in my favorites. Thanks for the info.

Looks like they have lots of stuff on sale for really good prices right now too.

Fluffers Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 2:00am
post #13 of 13

No way! I'll have to look at it. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%