Ellyane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellyane Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 5

anyone tried it? will it be too heavy?

4 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 5

I've made a chocolate chiffon cake covered in MMF with no problem. I filled and crumb coated it with a crusting BC and let it sit in the fridge overnight to set (had fresh strawberries in it). The following day, I covered it in MMF while it was still cold, finished decorating it then kept it in the fridge (let it sit out for 2-3 hours to come back down to room temperature before being eaten).

It's the Barney Cake in my album: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1788266

My Mad Hatter Cake is also a chocolate and vanilla chiffon cake carved and covered in ganache: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1781497

I did try covering chiffon Petit Fours with MMF and the cakes were too soft, even after trying to cover them while frozen, they defrosted really fast but then again, I didn't crumb coat them with anything either which may explain why they didn't hold up too well.

Ellyane Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 5

I've sort of been wondering this myself but more so from a stacking perspective. I've been thinking of trying a banana chiffon but it's so light and fluffy...I just can't see how it would hold up to anything! I'm still quite scared to try it. I have another banana recipe which people love but it's so dense and heavy (almost like banana bread) that I'd like something fluffier to add to my cake inventory.

Ellyane Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 5

I'm sure it will be fine if you use dowels inside. How high are you stacking it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%