I Froze The Wedding Cake On Order ???!!

Decorating By sweettoothmom1 Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 8:20pm by aswartzw

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 11

Hi All. I applied syrup with rum to some cakes i will do for a wedding this weekend. then i see that you're not supposed to because when defrosted, the ice will make it too wet. BUT people freeze their top (anniversary) tier of their wedding cake all the time. whats the verdict? should i plan to bake it over again? please help

10 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 11

The verdict from me is those frozen wedding cake tops a year later taste awful! I can vouch for it personally. I did that for my first wedding and could not for the life of me find the thrill in it. I didn't do that for the second one. I knew I wasn't missing anything.

At the bakery I used to work at, they offer a 6" round free in the flavor they used for their wedding. Seems like a better solution all around to me. Cake that is a year old is not delicious!

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 11

Why don't you just thaw it out and see what the consistency is like. It might be okay. You never know unless you try.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 11

I would thaw out one and see. But I was thinking why did you do that? I always do that step when assembling it. Maybe I am not understanding your recipe. I hope it turns out ok ...GOOD LUCK! thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 11

hi, i personally think you will be fine. When my daughter married some years ago, we froze her top tier. A year later, she had us at her home to share he top cake. It was delicious. It was actually better than the wedding day . so we all have different opinions on that subject. If it is a good cake to start with, it will be good a yr. later. You have to wrap it really good before freezing it , though. and i did. Hope yours will be fine too, and again, i think it really will. hth

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 11

I ate my wedding cake a year later and it was fabulous. It tasted just as fresh as the wedding night. I used A LOT of plastic wrap on it though. I put the cake in the fridge after the wedding to get it a little hard. The next morning, I wrapped it in plastic wrap. It was so thick it went from 6" to 9". I then placed it in a cake box and wrapped the cake box with plastic wrap. I used an entire roll of wrap between the cake and the box. PERFECT!!!!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 11

I'll second that, TPACakeGirl. Some friends of ours just had their first anniversary and said their cake was as good as the day it was served. I did help them wrap it though.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 11

i froze it because i have alot this week and wanted to get a head start. i added the syrup because the recipe calls for it and it soaks up well when it is slightly warm. thanks for feedback

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 11

It would soak up just as well cooled. If you need to add a liqueur to a cake in the future do this during assembly, the cake texture will then be perfect. you can freeze the cakes before hand no problem. Just let them come to a semi frozen state or fully defrosted state before adding the liqueur.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

The verdict from me is those frozen wedding cake tops a year later taste awful! I can vouch for it personally. I did that for my first wedding and could not for the life of me find the thrill in it. I didn't do that for the second one. I knew I wasn't missing anything.

At the bakery I used to work at, they offer a 6" round free in the flavor they used for their wedding. Seems like a better solution all around to me. Cake that is a year old is not delicious!

I froze mine and it was perfectly fine a year later. Maybe it was the way you froze it?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

Hi All. I applied syrup with rum to some cakes i will do for a wedding this weekend. then i see that you're not supposed to because when defrosted, the ice will make it too wet. BUT people freeze their top (anniversary) tier of their wedding cake all the time. whats the verdict? should i plan to bake it over again? please help

I freeze every single cake I bake whether it's simply overnight or not.

Leave your cake completely wrapped in plastic wrap from the time you remove it from the freezer until you are ready to use it.

I also prefer to assemble my cakes while still partially frozen but make sure you torte (if you do) before freezing or torte once it's defrosted a bit. They always taste so much more moist and handle much better after frozen, IMO, and many other CCers will agree.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%