Sugar Baby Blocks

Sugar Work By Sweet_Toof Updated 22 Nov 2012 , 4:28am by Danilou

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:40am
post #1 of 12

Does anybody know how to make baby blocks out of sugar?
I wanted to make a 3 tier cake and then have the blocks to spell the babys name, I don't need the extra cake so if I could do it out of sugar that would be handy
Because I could do it much earlier in time and also I am hoping it will give me a better result, vs trying to smoothly cover squares.

11 replies
Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 12

hmm... anyone? icon_sad.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 12

I guess i am little dense, what do you mean , make them out of sugar? I made some for a baby cake. I coverd 4x4 inch styrofoam blocks with fondant. That way , i made them ahead of time also.

Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 12

Oh ok, I guess that was what I was getting at
Ive seen them done before and someone told me it was just sugar but I couldn't work out how to do it
So then if I just bought some styrofoam, I could cover... could I cover successfully in royal icing or would it have to be fondanT?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:33am
post #5 of 12

icer101 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #6 of 12

I personally think they would cover better, using fondant. Look up some pics of baby cakes on this site with the blocks and get an idea. There are some of course all over the internet too. I do that, and it always helps me to get started. lol!! In other words, you are going to cut fondant squares and glue on each side , then the top , then clean up the edges with fondant strips.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #7 of 12

I think unless the styrofoam blocks are big, they won't be good, too hard to cover.

This is another video, a different way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFVgzGwQb8&feature=related

icer101 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 4:32am
post #8 of 12

I didn,t like the first one at all. They did not look like baby blocks. The second one was very good. I made mine the exact same way, using 4x4 inch styrofoam blocks. The client wanted that size for the top of the cake to spell out baby. Same technique as this video is showing. It was very easy and not too time consuming. Using the styrofoam, made it lighter for the top of the cake also.

Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:44am
post #9 of 12

Thanks heaps guys.
I keep forgetting that YouTube can be one of my best friend's too.

I like the 2nd video better as well, although the first one does seem a lot quicker.
I think the 2nd video would work well using small blocks like she did, but I want mine a fair bit larger, so I think I will buy some polystyrene blocks and then cover them the same way she did.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:15am
post #10 of 12

I juist made them for last weekend's order, i saw on wilton's site that they used gum paste squares, air dried them overnight one side (lay flat), and the other flat side another night. Then when all are hardened, glue them together to make blocks.

Since I was in a pinch for time, I simply rolled my fondant really thick, and cut cubes out of it, shaped them nicely so that they have nice edges to them, and made borders from fondant strips.
cut out letters also from fondant, and glued them on the sides.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 12

thx

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:28am
post #12 of 12

This looks fairly simple,   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%