What Do Producers Look For?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 3:23am by cakeandpartygirl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:46am
post #1 of 10

For those who have gotten spots on tv...what do the producers look for? I'm curious...I did send in a tape a couple years ago for Ultimate Cake Off but didn't make it in...which is fine...I think I'm probably too busy and everything to really want to be on tv. But still it would be neat if someone asked me someday. haha.

I do know I am more shy and I do not speak well on camera. I am terrible at knowing what to say and how to keep talking and stuff. So I assume that would be a BIG reason why I would probably never make it to any cake shows....

Do most people who make it on tv make it because they are bubbly and energetic?

Just curious! Not upset or anything...actually have had some mild health things going on lately and probably being on tv would send me into a panic attack of all panic attacks anyway! haha.

9 replies
Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 10

It really depends on the show but here is what I believe.

Unique skills and abilities help you stand out.
Engaging Personality is huge but it should be real. They can spot fake.
Speak and interact with Confidents as to who you are
Most of all you have to be someone they are looking for. Some shows are looking for a variety of personalities to play against the others.

You sould remimber it is TV and that means thier primary goal is good Ratings.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 10

I just finished shooting the interview questions for my Food Network Challenge audition video. Finishing the rest of the video this week for the Jan 3rd deadline. I was going crazy trying to think of stuff to say, and of course, everyone was offering advice on what crazy antics I should perform to "stand out!"

Brian is right. You have to be yourself. I watched a lot of FN audition videos on youtube before I started mine, and some were hard to watch. Too many people trying to be schticky and they just came off very fake and forced. Some were just trying too hard and it was sad...

I just went with being myself! Sure, I tried to show my personality during my interview segment, but I didn't want to be trying to make jokes or juggle flaming bowling pins!!

You just have to be confident. Be able to express yourself. Have a personality....but don't try to CREATE one.
I might get chosen, I might not. But I'd like to think I was true to how I am in real life!

And Brian...your cakes ROCK!! Best of luck to you on "Next Great Baker!!"

Crustymuffin Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 10

Oh that was so much better put than what I wrote.
Good luck RobzC8kz on the FN. And thank you for the complement.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 10

You might want to ask JenniferMI or Sugarshack, both have been on those shows numerous times before. (There are a few others here on CC but I don't know if they want it broadcasted or not.)

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:20am
post #6 of 10

Brian is here?!?!!! I didn't know!! icon_surprised.gif Because you are my FAVORITE to be the Next Great baker icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Your work is AMAZING!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I wish you the best of the best!! thumbs_up.gif

Crustymuffin Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:43am
post #7 of 10

Thank you so much!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:12am
post #8 of 10

LOL! Thanks, Brian! And thanks for the well wishes! I'm a big fan of your work and I like that you're self-taught, like me, too! I'm pulling for you!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #9 of 10

drama. period. the end.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

drama. period. the end.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%