Transporting Tiered Cake

Decorating By NanaSandy Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 5:54pm by cakegirl1973

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 9

I have a question for my CC friends. When you have a 3 tiered cake, let's say a 10".8" and a 5"....do you stack and then transport? Or do you stack it at the location? I am just curious, as I am new to stacking cakes, and have one to do this weekend. It will be fondant covered and the border is going to be a fondant ribbon.
Thank you in advance for your help!

8 replies
BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 9

A cake this "small" can certainly be transported stacked. However, it will need a good support system in place. Many here swear by the SPS system by Bakerycrafts. Others, include wooden dowel rods, hollow plastic dowels by Wilton, some even like bubble-tea straws.

You will also need to place it on a very level surface in the delivery vehicle, on top of non-slip material.

Also, I'd recommened changing the top tier from a 5" to a 6" to be more proportionate. icon_smile.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 9

I deliver all of my cakes assembled, and have yet to have a problem or tragedy. I do both buttercream and fondant. If you dowel it well enough you shouldn't have a problem. I have a suv that I use, that is flat in the back and I always make sure it is empty and clean. I also put all of my cakes in the fridge overnight, as I feel cold cake travel much better. I know there is a huge debate over putting fondant in the fridge, but I do it all the time since most of my cakes have perisible filling, and have never had a problem. I also agree to change out the top cake to a 6 then you will have 2 inches between each tier. Best of luck...just don't stress about it, put it in your car, and go. Oh, I also take a little patch kit too with me, just in case, but I haven't ever used it, I guess I have been lucky, hope I am not jinxing myself...LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 9

Definitely change that "5 to a 6". I stack using SPS. i use it on every cake, no exceptions.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:39am
post #5 of 9

Thank you ladies for all your input, and I will definitely change from the 5 to the 6.
My DH does all my doweling, and we have good success with it so far. I use the wooden dowels, but I will have to check out the SPS system. I see a lot of people on here talk about it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:06am
post #6 of 9

Vibration is a huge enemy of cakes. It can shift dowels, crack buttercream and fondant, and cause tiers to migrate. Bad roads make it worse.

I travel with my cakes stacked. I use bubble tea straws and a central dowel.

But, I think what really helps the most is that I put down at least 2 layers of memory foam padding under the cake box on the floor of the SUV. I also place the cake as close to the center--front to back and side to side-- of the car as possible, where vibration is the least.

Knock on wood--so good so far.
Rae

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:32am
post #7 of 9

I also use dowels, with a center dowel always. Occasionally I will use wide straws for a small 2 tier, if not going very far. I've never had a problem, I too always go prepared with patch kit, just in case! Oh, and I also put the foam down in back of SUV.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

I deliver all of my cakes assembled, and have yet to have a problem or tragedy. I do both buttercream and fondant. If you dowel it well enough you shouldn't have a problem. I have a suv that I use, that is flat in the back and I always make sure it is empty and clean. I also put all of my cakes in the fridge overnight, as I feel cold cake travel much better. I know there is a huge debate over putting fondant in the fridge, but I do it all the time since most of my cakes have perisible filling, and have never had a problem. I also agree to change out the top cake to a 6 then you will have 2 inches between each tier. Best of luck...just don't stress about it, put it in your car, and go. Oh, I also take a little patch kit too with me, just in case, but I haven't ever used it, I guess I have been lucky, hope I am not jinxing myself...LOL

I deliver three-tiers exacatly like this, and without a center dowel. I also put them in a box and use the non-skid carpet padding under the box in the back of the car.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 9

I have only delivered 2 and 3 tier cakes completely assembled. For 2 tiers, I use the wide plastic dowels made by Wiltons, with good results. For more than 2 tiers, I have used Cake Jacks, which have worked well, too. For more than 3 tiers, I have always assembled on site, because I was afraid that I couldn't safely carry it into the venue. I have thought about getting a cart, but I still would have to carry the cake down a flight of stairs to get it into my SUV.

I have ordered and received the parts for SPS. Just haven't tried it yet. So, my support system might be changing, but I still would stack the 4 tier cakes and pipe the borders on-site. I think it all comes down to your situation. If I had someone who could help carry the cake, I might do things differently. For me, on-site assembly of more than 3 tiers works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%