Do You Think Rum Buttercream Is Okay To Serve If Kids There?

Decorating By tsal Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm by diamonds-and-rust

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:26pm
post #31 of 39

Debi, what you said about cough syrup made me think of a time when I was a toddler. I had a bad cough and nothing was helping. My Grandma told my Mom to mix honey, lemon juice, and a bit of whiskey together and give it to me. Well, she put in a bit too much whiskey and got me a little drunk. icon_surprised.gif They put me in my walker and said I would run into walls and throw my head back and laugh hysterically. But it stopped the cough! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anytime you went to my Grandma's house, there were rum balls, bourbon balls, bundt cakes wrapped in alcohol-soaked cheesecloth....and we kids gobbled it up. (None of us have a problem with alcohol now, btw.) Now mind you, my Grandma would never drink a drop of alcohol, but she sure liked to eat it! icon_lol.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:31pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Debi, what you said about cough syrup made me think of a time when I was a toddler. I had a bad cough and nothing was helping. My Grandma told my Mom to mix honey, lemon juice, and a bit of whiskey together and give it to me. Well, she put in a bit too much whiskey and got me a little drunk. icon_surprised.gif They put me in my walker and said I would run into walls and throw my head back and laugh hysterically. But it stopped the cough! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anytime you went to my Grandma's house, there were rum balls, bourbon balls, bundt cakes wrapped in alcohol-soaked cheesecloth....and we kids gobbled it up. (None of us have a problem with alcohol now, btw.) Now mind you, my Grandma would never drink a drop of alcohol, but she sure liked to eat it! icon_lol.gif

I love that!!! I can just imagine a little drunk baby in a walker, running into the wall over and over again!!!! LOL!! Thanks for the chuckle!!!!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

If some kind of predisposition existed, I would be a drunk by now.

I choke down some dark red wine every night for my health--and I hate every drop--yet, I have first cousin's who can't eat dinner without several glasses of wine or a few beers. They think it tastes great, I think it tastes awful.................similar genetics, different tolerances. Several of their kids have problems with booze, mine don't...............

Rae

Rae, I believe the ingredient in grapes/wine that is so very good for our cariovascular system is, I believe, resveritrol. It is available in a supplement form. If you dont care for the taste of red wine why not try that? I believe pomegranate juice has the same effect....

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:34pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

I think maybe the kids won't like the flavor of the rum anyway. Maybe bring along a few cupcakes with some kid flavored frosting.

Probably this so I wouldn't even worry about.

For those suggesting rum extract, that has alcohol in it too.

I hate rum flavoring or rum for that matter so I wouldn't even eat your cake but it's for your mom. Do what you want.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #35 of 39

No...I'd go with rum extract instead.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:49pm
post #36 of 39

If you are asking me would I serve a rum flavored something to children, the answer is no....because of the perception, not the reality.

Would I bake a rum cake for a baby shower? No. Even though the mom-to-be isn't going to harm her fetus with a slice of rum cake, it's not perceived as acceptable, IMO. You wouldn't offer her a cocktail, so why would we give her something "alcoholic" to eat?

That is my thinking on the topic. It's just the perception of an alcohol infused baked good that's off putting to me. Reality is, the children have already consumed tiny bits here and there with said cough syrups and other extracts in food.

Why not make a handful of cupcakes with vanilla frosting and let the parents decide what their children will have? icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif (which is you, BTW. Heehee)

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:51pm
post #37 of 39

What about a Lorann emultion? They sell a rum emulsion and has no alcohol in it? Strangely, I googled it and found it at sears. icon_confused.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 11:21pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonds-and-rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

If some kind of predisposition existed, I would be a drunk by now.

I choke down some dark red wine every night for my health--and I hate every drop--yet, I have first cousin's who can't eat dinner without several glasses of wine or a few beers. They think it tastes great, I think it tastes awful.................similar genetics, different tolerances. Several of their kids have problems with booze, mine don't...............

Rae

Rae, I believe the ingredient in grapes/wine that is so very good for our cariovascular system is, I believe, resveritrol. It is available in a supplement form. If you dont care for the taste of red wine why not try that? I believe pomegranate juice has the same effect....

It's been found that the supplements and non-alcoholic drinks are not as effective as those with 10%, or so, of alcohol.

Apparently, the alcohol+resveritrol create a synergistic relationship that increases the effectiveness of the resveritrol.

Believe me, my DH (MD by trade) and I looked into it before settling into a routine that neither of us enjoys icon_razz.gif

Thanks, though.
Rae

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm
post #39 of 39

I wasn't aware of that....thanks for the info icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%