Help With A Car Cake

Baking By jerseygirlNga Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 4:59pm by icer101

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 5

I tried one car cake and it was more than a challenge. I know people say they carve WASC but I find it too moist to carve.

There are lots of car cakes out there...would anyone be willing to share a cake recipe with me that would make this easier to work with? I am doing this for a friend that has just been promoted within KIA. Oh, and any advice on tires? My last attempt...well, lets just say they weren't pretty!!!

4 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 5

For the car cakes I've done; I just used Duncan Hines (adding one box of pudding and an extra egg)!! Had no problems with carving.

Now, those tires; I ALWAYS have issues with those, so I can't help you with that. (sorry)

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 5

did you carve it while it was cold? it helps when the cake is a bit frozen.

MomSgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomSgt Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

I made a replica of a car... used DH regular recipe and froze the layers. Ringed, filled, stacked and carved shape while frozen. Crumb coated with buttercream. Waited a few minutes at that point to bring it to room temp. Then I chilled it and used homemade MMF to cover. I made the wheels out of chocolate covered mini donuts and made fondant "rims" for the donut holes. Cake came out great, was moist and held up perfectly. I have made large truck cakes and used regular sized choc. covered donuts for the wheels. The actual car sits directly on the cake drum with the illusion of being off the ground by the fondant car covering. Hope this helps.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 5

hi, on sharons zambito blog, there is a car tutorial . I don,t know which month it is though. You will have to look for it. She also has a great recipe for durable cake for carving on her blog. On this site under recipes, there are several durable chocolate, vanilla recipes for carving. hth And also, mike mccary's dvd on cars is GREAT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%