Help, Substituting Lorann Oil For Alcohol Flavors

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 12:02am by HowCoolGomo1

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know how much I would need to use to substitute for 1/4 cup of Kahlua.

I have a 1oz bottle and a 1 dram bottle.

I called Lorann Oils and they didn't have a clue.

Thank you

10 replies
jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 11

I assume this is in the frosting/filling. I always start out with 7 drops. (Hope you got the little dropper tops! otherwise...I don't have a clue). Then I add only 1-2 drops more at a time. Don't overdue because it intensifies over time. It is always better the next day according to my kids! They love the coconut flavor on a dark chocolate cake.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlNga

I assume this is in the frosting/filling. I always start out with 7 drops. (Hope you got the little dropper tops! otherwise...I don't have a clue). Then I add only 1-2 drops more at a time. Don't overdue because it intensifies over time. It is always better the next day according to my kids! They love the coconut flavor on a dark chocolate cake.

Bless your heart for answering me but it's actually for the cake batter.

She ( a relative) wants my Black Russian cake, but children will be at the party. She wants the flavor but not the alcohol aspect.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 11

I would just use the alcohol. Bakes out anyway!!! Okay, that may not earn me a mama of the year award but I've baked with alcohol when my kids were small. No ill effects...but that may explain why they turned out the way they have.

Nahh, just kidding. But I really don't think there would be a problem with 1/4 C in about 10C of batter. I say go for it!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:

I would just use the alcohol. Bakes out anyway!!! Okay, that may not earn me a mama of the year award but I've baked with alcohol when my kids were small. No ill effects...but that may explain why they turned out the way they have.

Nahh, just kidding. But I really don't think there would be a problem with 1/4 C in about 10C of batter. I say go for it!

Actually, no, the alcohol doesn't bake completely out and I'd prefer to be safe and just do what the customer wants. Most people wouldn't have an issue with it but some people really do care about it a lot.

I'd probably add 1/4 t. at a time and taste it. LOL

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 11

Aside from the alcohol cooking out, the amount that would be in each serving is negligible.

1/4c divided between the 24 servings in a typical 8in/2layer cake is less than a .01c per serving. No one is going to be harmed or get buzzed on that.

HTH
Kristy

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:

Love that answer, but it won't fly. She actually asked me about a grilled/smoked chicken recipe her kid loves. Told her the chicken swam in wine for at least 3 days...I'm still getting grief. (made it 3 yrs ago) The kid still begs for it.

Actually, no, the alcohol doesn't bake completely out and I'd prefer to be safe and just do what the customer wants. Most people wouldn't have an issue with it but some people really do care about it a lot.

She's not a customer, but she is a relative; which is worse IMHO. They don't have a clue, but expect perfection. I understand her point of view, but I'm never telling her why she loves my lasagna or sauce!

Anywho...I added a dram to a double batch of the recipe. Smells and tastes almost the same so far. I'll let you know if it tastes the same. I have big girl, who never spares my feelings about her birthday cake.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:

Love that answer, but it won't fly. She actually asked me about a grilled/smoked chicken recipe her kid loves. Told her the chicken swam in wine for at least 3 days...I'm still getting grief. (made it 3 yrs ago) The kid still begs for it.

She's not a customer, but she is a relative; which is worse IMHO. They don't have a clue, but expect perfection. I understand her point of view, but I'm never telling her why she loves my lasagna or sauce!

Anywho...I added a dram to a double batch of the recipe. Smells and tastes almost the same so far. I'll let you know if it tastes the same. I have big girl, who never spares my feelings about her birthday cake.

I completely understand! My mom is against alcohol of any kind and it doesn't matter in what form. LOL Somebody once gave the family her award winning banana bread, took one bite of it and spit it out b/c it had been soaked in rum. Tossed the enitre thing out. I couldn't help but laugh about it.

But even trying to bake a cake with it, I'd never. I respect my mom's wishes, no matter how weird, to ever trick her and put real alcohol in something (I have reminded her that her vanilla is alcohol but I guess she's resigned to that).

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 11

It just came out of the oven.

I think more tasty than the one with alcohol.

Bad news, I was trying to do this in the W stand up bear. It fell apart. Good news, I make a mean chocolate butter cream!

There will be some gluing involved.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 11

An easy substitution for kahlua is strong black coffee, in an equal volume.

Good luck with the gluing icon_biggrin.gif This cool weather should make it easier.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

An easy substitution for kahlua is strong black coffee, in an equal volume.

Good luck with the gluing icon_biggrin.gif This cool weather should make it easier.

Thanks for your input!

Yeah the gluing will suck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%