The Mat...opinions???

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 12:16pm by luddroth

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 25

I am thinking about purchasing The Mat, but I wanted to see if anyone has used it and if you like it/hate it. If anyone has any reviews on The Mat can you let me know pretty please!?!?!? icon_smile.gif

24 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 25

There have been a couple of threads on CC about The Mat with mixed reviews. I have had mine for a month and all 4 of the cakes I have used it for turned out beautifuly. I love it and wouldn't cover a cake with fondant any other way. JMHO

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 25

I'm curious as well. I have read both positive and negative reviews on it. I really want to purchase it, but hadn't yet. Can't wait to see what others post.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 25

I now love my Mat, although I hated it at first....there is a bit of a learning curve to it....just play with it and see what works for you. The main thing I found was to not use too much Crisco to season it. Apply a minimal amount of Crisco, and then wipe it off really well with paper towels..this solved the problem I originally had with it (pock marks)
HTH!
Ps
Check out Sweetwise's vids on YouTube

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 25

I found Sweetwise's You Tube videos really helpful, too.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 25

I agree with cakegirl383 about the videos. I have the Mat and I continue to use it. It gets better with each use. In fact I plan on buying a second one soon. I want to see if I can use it to roll out cookie dough and other uses.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 25

love mine icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vharbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vharbin Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 25

I love my mat. I took my first classes on fondant at Sweetwise using it and can't imagine doing it without it. I think it's super easy to use.

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 25

Does anyone know if the new one with the measurements is out yet. I emailed them but did not get a answer?

cakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeshoppe Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 25

I emailed them the other day.

They said there were a few problems. The mat is so non-stick that they are having trouble finding the ink that will stick to it.

They are hoping to have it after the first of the year.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 25

Does anyone know if "The Mat" is the same thing or same type of thing that Sharon Zambito uses in her DVD's?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:35am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliellen

Does anyone know if "The Mat" is the same thing or same type of thing that Sharon Zambito uses in her DVD's?

No. Sharon and most professional decorators use the blue Ateco silicone mat, 36x24 inches that's been around for years. The Mat is vinyl and it's relatively new.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

Does anyone know if the new one with the measurements is out yet. I emailed them but did not get a answer?

The Mat is 2 sheets of 30x30 inch food safe "vinyl".

Rae

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:49am
post #15 of 25

I saw the video on The Mat.
I had already been to JoAnn's fabric with my 50% off coupon purchased a yard of the clear tablecloth vinyl; I came home washed it, stored part of it as I was using it only to roll out on. After I saw the video I took the other half out of the closet seasoned it with crisco and started to use it like the Mat.
I love it. I spent $4.75 on it. I did a wedding cake and 27 centerpiece cakes using it. Fondant was smooth as silk. I wash it after I use it lay it on a clean bath towel and roll it up to keep it clean.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:50am
post #16 of 25

I have the Ateco mat and found it too heavy and unwieldy to use comfortably. I then went to vinyl from the fabric store; too lightweight and wrinkly, plus I had issues with its being food safe. I was delighted to see the mat on several of the above mentioned threads and after reading them and viewing the video, eagerly purchased one. I couldn't be happier. Heeding advice given, I very sparingly seasoned it with Crisco and wiped it off thoroughly. It works perfectly. An added advantage is the fact I needn't worry about dust or the fondant drying out. It gives me more working time and there isn't a problem with cleaning off the cornstarch or powdered sugar. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:56am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDukes

I saw the video on The Mat.
I had already been to JoAnn's fabric with my 50% off coupon purchased a yard of the clear tablecloth vinyl; I came home washed it, stored part of it as I was using it only to roll out on. After I saw the video I took the other half out of the closet seasoned it with crisco and started to use it like the Mat.
I love it. I spent $4.75 on it. I did a wedding cake and 27 centerpiece cakes using it. Fondant was smooth as silk. I wash it after I use it lay it on a clean bath towel and roll it up to keep it clean.

Right.

The difference between your $4.75 investment and "The Mat" (at about $20 with shipping) is that the Mat was specifically developed to be FOOD SAFE.

The fabric store vinyl IS NOT FOOD SAFE.

It's comparing apples to plastic fruit.....

Rae

cas17 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm
post #18 of 25

i know this thread is kinda old but i wanted to add my input...bought the mat and loved it the first time i used it. unfortunately as it has tiny bubbles indentions all over it that will NOT smooth out. i even tried rinsing it in hot water and rubbing the heck out of it with crisco and a cloth. i do not think that i will purchase another one to try again. just wanted to warn others that you must get every bubble out of it before rolling it up and storing it away. i had tried and tried to get all those bubbles out but i didn't know that it would leave a permanent ripple/indention in the vinyl. sad because i really liked having the two sides and how easy fondant rolled out as opposed to how hard it is to roll fondant out on the silicone mats. hth someone else

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

i know this thread is kinda old but i wanted to add my input...bought the mat and loved it the first time i used it. unfortunately as it has tiny bubbles indentions all over it that will NOT smooth out. i even tried rinsing it in hot water and rubbing the heck out of it with crisco and a cloth. i do not think that i will purchase another one to try again. just wanted to warn others that you must get every bubble out of it before rolling it up and storing it away. i had tried and tried to get all those bubbles out but i didn't know that it would leave a permanent ripple/indention in the vinyl. sad because i really liked having the two sides and how easy fondant rolled out as opposed to how hard it is to roll fondant out on the silicone mats. hth someone else

watch this video at about 5:14, but also the whole video is great!

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #20 of 25

So...I think I just realized that I misunderstood what you were referring to. Sorry.

I saw one user say they roll theirs up with a cloth in between. Haven't tried it, but sounds like a good idea....

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #21 of 25

I've had my MAT since it first advertised and I ABSOLUTELY Love it. I will never go back to rolling fondant the ye olde way. The trick is to clean it after every use and store it back in it's tube. I'm not sure why some others are having problems with theirs, but mine has never given me anything but smooth pliable fondant and I use MMF.

cas17 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeCrystals

I've had my MAT since it first advertised and I ABSOLUTELY Love it. I will never go back to rolling fondant the ye olde way. The trick is to clean it after every use and store it back in it's tube. I'm not sure why some others are having problems with theirs, but mine has never given me anything but smooth pliable fondant and I use MMF.

yes, i did all that and watched the video many times before and after i purchased. i keep it in the mailing tube as well. i tried to get all the air bubbles out before i rolled it back up to put it back in the tube. no luck. i'm so happy that it's working out for many as it's definitely better than the old way. sucks to be me icon_cry.gif

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:43am
post #23 of 25

You should probably contact SweetWise and let them know of the problems that you're having and maybe they can offer a solution. Just don't give up on the MAT, it's a wonderful tool to have.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:01pm
post #24 of 25

LOVE MINE! I added it to my christmas with list last year and i hope to never have to go back to covering a cake without it. Its soo much cleaner! No more nasty shortening or ps covering every surface in my kitchen! And if im using coloured fondant i dont have to be dusting my cake off after to get all the ps reminents off.
Since i just do this as a hobby I dont often cover larger than 10' cakes in fondant but i have had to in the past and had issues with fondant tearing when i was lifting it onto the cake and it was so stressful. I have done one larger cake with the mat and it was so easy and stress free. Other than some extra rolling, it was no different than covering a 8".
i also seem to NEVER start out with enough fondant and i love that I can add more and it doesnt show (just like in their video). Works like a charm.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:16pm
post #25 of 25

Love it -- the biggest plus is the time it gives you -- especially for rolling out big pieces. Couldn't live without it now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%