Applying Edible Images To Fondant

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 12:54am by bigwheals

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I am doing a three tiered cake for my brother who is a tattoo artist. I want the cake to look tattooed and my idea is to print out pics of his work on frosting sheets, cut them out, and apply them all over (even slightly overlapping) on the fondant.

I have read that some people dampen the fondant, some use corn syrup, and some use shortening on the fondant for applying the edible images. Not sure which way to go and only have a limited amount of frosting sheets so really don't want to do it wrong.

Can anyone share with me what worked best for you? How do you apply frosting sheets/edible images to fondant?

Thank you!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 7

thin smear of piping gel

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 7

little bit of corn syrup applied with a brush.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 7

corn syrup and water mixture...i wipe it on the fondant or gumpaste and lay the image on top. make sure you don't touch the image with anything wet, or drip on it, as it will smear.

also, after you lay it on, wait a few minutes and then start to cut. don't wait til you have a few assembled... as the sheets tend to dry out a bit and will crack as you cut them if they've been exposed to air too long.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 12:02am
post #5 of 7

I have used water/corn syrup or just water many times with perfect results

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 12:22am
post #6 of 7

I steam my cake - then apply the edible image. This works really well for me, I have tried other methods, but for me, this was it!

bigwheals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigwheals Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 12:54am
post #7 of 7

piping gel is what I used today on a cd case for a band

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%