How To Make Birch Bark On A Cake?

Decorating By bricker Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 1:17pm by bricker

bricker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bricker Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
How do you make a cake that looks like birch bark? I know you can wrap them in chocolate transfer sheets but I think I prefer to do it in fondant. Somewhere I heard you can just paint the fondant? How would you do that? Is it relatively easy? The cake will be 5 tiers high.

Does anyone know where I can buy a pine cone mold that looks realistic and is at least 3 inches high?

Thanks for your help.

bricker

6 replies
Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 7

I saw someone use a woodgraining too you get at the hardware store. Sorry, can't remember where or who I saw do it. Hope this helps...good luck! I am going to keep watching this thread to see what suggestions others might have because I would love to try the birch look someday myself.

Deb

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 7

Ok, after looking at those birch cake photos, I have to say I was thinking of more of a woodgrain look which is what the tool I mentioned would give you....but, obviously not what you wanted. I know I saw a video showing how to do this though...let me look around and get back to you. Might've been on youtube?

Sorry for the confusion icon_biggrin.gif

Deb

Debi2 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 7

Here are some links to info I found regarding the birch look. The third link from youtube shows how to mix cocoa and shortening to use for painting on fondant, which I think would look really nice for the look you are wanting to acheive.

Deb

Debi2 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 7

Here's one more which also shows what it would look like if you used the wood graining tool.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-657930-next.html&sid=fa5d674405f7704a6cbef27fbbdea02f

bricker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bricker Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your help! Lots of good stuff!
bricker

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%