Cheesecake

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 23 Jan 2007 , 12:50am by nglez09

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 17

it's my absolute favorite dessert in the whole wide world! And I have never made one. I would like to add this to my "menu". Does anyone have this as part of their "menu"? I am reading through the recipes and they seem so expensive to make. What would you charge for one cheesecake?

16 replies
Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 17

I charge $25 for a 9-inch cheesecake (fruit toppings are extra). They are pricey to make if you cannot find the ingredients on sale, but if you're near a Costco or Sam's - it's not so bad. I defintely make more money with regular decorated cakes, though.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 17

I charge about $35 for a plain cheesecake and up to $50 for cheesecakes with specific toppings. Because they are so time consuming they should be more expensive.

Maybe you could see what "The Cheesecake Factory" is charging and go by that.

HTH

Michele

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 17

I charge anywhere from $30 for a plain cheesecake up to $50 depending on fruit, liquior, nuts and whatever add in or toppings they request. When you make your cheesecakes make sure the batter is really good and smooth before you add in your eggs.

making cheesecakes can sometimes be a little tricky so practice a few first before you add them to your menue. I have some cheesecake recipes if you need them.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 17

The first several cheesecakes I made were overdone, because I left them in longer than the recipe called for - because they didn't look "done" to me. It wasn't until years later I learned that they are still supposed to be jiggly when you remove them from the oven...

Live & learn.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 17

There are some recipes for cheesecakes in the Whimsical Bakehouse book that sound delicious, but I haven't tried them yet. They even cover them with chocolate glaze and decorations.

Has anyone tried the recipes yet?

cocorum21 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

making cheesecakes can sometimes be a little tricky so practice a few first before you add them to your menue. I have some cheesecake recipes if you need them.

I'd love it if you would share your recipes with me. I'll definately be practicing these I love, love, love cheesecake (more than I should) icon_biggrin.gif

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:55am
post #8 of 17

The first cheesecake I made several years ago was the best. For some reason the cheesecakes I've made recently using the same recipe then just aren't as good! Maybe I lost my touch. Maybe I am just remembering it turning out so great, but really it didn't!! haha I use a recipe I got from SAra Moulton on the food network years ago. I have never sold a cheesecake.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:01am
post #9 of 17

I only make cheesecakes for friends (usually the little 6' tins) ~ but am still in search of a cheesecake that used to me made at the bakery I worked at. It was referred to as a NY cheesecake, dense, crumbly, required no crust and was baked in a loaf pan... I don't think my cakes are good because I am trying to match them up to a memory..(sigh)

Anyhoo, the pricing for the ones I have seen have been $16 for a 16 slice prefab, $3 a slice for a thick monsterous one with fruit, $4 a slice for the more exotic flavored ones. The decorated ones are around $4 a thick slice ~ I love the way they decorate them. The loaf one I was referring to sold for $10 back 10 years ago, so I can imagine what it would go for now...

Anyhoo, good luck with your cheesecake recipe and let us know how you make out.

cocorum21 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 17

I just have one more question about the cheesecake. Can I bake two at once or will that alter the cooking time?

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I just have one more question about the cheesecake. Can I bake two at once or will that alter the cooking time?

Hi Ya! I bake specialty cheesecakes for the bakery were I work and bake 6 at a time. I use a convection oven so I don't know if my baking instructions would be of use to you.

Also, don't forget about using a "water bath" or placing a pan of water int he bottom of the oven for moisture.

If you have any q's please feel free to pm me. I have LOTS of recipes.

Best of luck, K'ly

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 17

I have a hard time with cheesecakes, but I blame my crappy oven. I do bake more than one normal cake often. Just don't let the pans touch so that air can get around each one evenly

cocorum21 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 17

I am going to start a cheesecake today, i couldn't wait. Do I need to have the creamcheese & eggs at room temp?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 17
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 17

I was flipping through the channels last weekend and saw a really good tip on cheesecakes. When cooling your cheesecake, run a knife around the outside edge to separate the crust from the pan. This is to help your cheesecake from not cracking while it is cooling. I thought that was a good tip to try! Since the last cheesecake I baked cracked icon_cry.gif but it was oh so good! (Secret family recipe unable to share, sorry)

cocorum21 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:44am
post #16 of 17

Update on the cheesecake. I made my first recipe and so far so good. I have it on a cooling rack right now and it's almost cool. No cracks!

I am just wondering how I get this design?

http://www.andersonfamilysteaks.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=161&osCsid=ad33f3a57a938273dc21d9dabd0213bd

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:50am
post #17 of 17

While the chocolate glaze is still wet, pipe evenly spaced parallel lines of melted white chocolate over the plain chocolate (or in your case vise versa). Draw the tip of a toothpick through the white chocolate, first in one direction and the in another. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%