White Elephant/gag Gift

Lounge By SuzyNoQ Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 1:58am by kansaslaura

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 18

My dh's side is doing 10$ white elephant/gag gifts for the Christmas exhange, I am compleatly stuck on what to get, the group is all adults from 18 - mid 80's both male and female. I am willing to shop online (if shipping is free or I am getting something anyway) and got a dollar or 2 over for the right gift.
Any suggestions?
TIA

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 18

Gosh I hate it when someone tells me, "Just buy a piece of junk because we don't want to do "real" gifts .... but you STILL have to spend "real" money on it!"

The whole concept makes no sense to me. It's like they want to de-personalize it under the idea of "oh its not a real gift so no big deal!" But I AM spending real money on it!!

I have enough junk in my house. I dont' need someone INTENTIONALLY buying me another piece of junk.

Get a $10 gas card.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 18

I thought the point of a white elephant gift is to take something weird lying around the house and give it to someone else, not actually buy something. Ah well. That said, how about something like these? Fun for all ages..

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10028921&N=&Ntt=tattoo

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:53am
post #4 of 18

i am big on games for these kinds of things... not video games, like board games! scrabble, boggle, monopoly, apples to apples, pictionary, scrabble, catch phrase etc... i don't think people sit down and play games enough anymore! it's all watching tv or whatever... makes things so anti-social!

catch phrase is a GREAT game too!

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 18

My husband took a giant can of tuna fish many years ago and it got passed around for many years!

A couple of years ago I bought a case of green beans from Sam's club for a white elephant exchange. Silly, but still useful since each can was the normal size.

indydebi Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyB

My husband took a giant can of tuna fish many years ago and it got passed around for many years!

A couple of years ago I bought a case of green beans from Sam's club for a white elephant exchange. Silly, but still useful since each can was the normal size.

daughter's birthday is early november. hubby's birthday is 2 days after christmas. They'be been giving each other the same can of Spam for 10 years!!!! icon_lol.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 18

I think that the point of these parties is to laugh and have fun. My DH & I have went to several. Our limit is usually $5.
Some gifts that I've purchased/seen off the top of my head:
PMS pills, laxatives (My DH owns a vitamin store). Same guy got the bottles 2 yrs in a row.
Reindeer (snowman, polar bear, ect) candy pooper
Spiderman doll that only spoke Spanish (no one spoke Spanish @ the party)
Framed High School pic that showed up 3 yrs in a row
toilet plunger

There's also "good" gifts too that people want to trade like Starbuck's and Marble Slab Ice Cream.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 18

I also do the board games or if I'm going for a funny, I will buy something in bulk from Sam's and give that. One time I gave a huge can of lard.

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 18

When the same people are involved in an exchange for years, I think the joke of a gift that keeps showing up is really fun!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:43am
post #10 of 18

I think WendyB hit the nail on the head. For nearly 12 years our extended family had a "gift" that circulated among the lucky recipients. It was a ceramic poodle vanity lipstick holder and was truly gross. I think it was from the 50's and would have been tacky even then. I cannot describe the hilarity it created each Christmas and the memory now is priceless. When my parents passed away no one knew where it ended up, or it would still be "in circulation".
As has been so well stated, the point is not necessarily buying something, just pick a silly thing and have fun. Memories are waiting to be made.

indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

Memories are waiting to be made.

Amen!! thumbs_up.gif

SuzyNoQ Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 18

3 of my cousins (all sisters) are still passing around the same pair of underwear at Christmas, birthdays, and wedding showers, they have been for around 15 years (every now and then it skips a year or one sister sneaks it from whoever has it and gives it to them again)
I think I am going to get kitchen towels/oven mits, they might get used eventually.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 18

We had a Christmas Thong with ribbon and bells that was passed around for several years. I'll never forget the look on my Grandma's face when she finally got it....hilarious!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:57am
post #14 of 18

Yesterday I was at Bed Bath and Beyond when I noticed some gift boxes at the register. the boxes were designed to look like a specific item. One was a motorized rolling pin. Another was a "DreamGriddle" i think it was called. Basically a griddle with an alarm clock attached to it and it's supposed to turn on at a specific time so you wake up to the smell of cooking bacon. That was from an episode of The Office. Another had something to do with golf and there was something else but I can't remember what it was. The point was it was supposed to look legit, but kinda not.

When the recipient opens the box, there's a flap attached to it that says "Prank you! Your real gift is inside" and you put the real gift in there.

They were $8 a box, which I thought was kinda steep, but it might be worth it. Seeing what some reactions would be to the motorized rolling pin. . .

SuzyNoQ Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 18

I ended up getting some dish towels, cloths at dollar tree, a reusable coffee cup that looks like a styrofoam cup, a holiday coffee (peppermint) single pot pouch. now the fun part wrapping it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:04pm
post #16 of 18

How about a Chia Pet?

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 18

I love white elephant. And though you have already purchased your gifts I have to add some additional go to items that I have bought before.

- that largest pair of granny panties you can find at wal-mart....hilarious
-footie jammies...got these for my brother in law this year
- framed pictures of yourself...gold frames from the dollar store are great
- religious candles from the dollar store...funny depending on beliefs
- $5 movies...got my sister the first season of Three's Company one year
-Dummy books...getting my other sister Dog Training for Dummies because she has an out of control boxer...LOL

Have fun.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:58am
post #18 of 18

One of the most fun we've had in recent memory is with a can of Spotted Dick.

Now, tell me you can say that outloud and NOT laugh! I think it was under $5.00 and trust me it's worth every penny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%