How Long Can You Leave Imbc At Room Temperature?

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 10:43am by MikeRowesHunny

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 4:27am
post #1 of 8

I did a search and spent ages reading through all the threads I could find, but there's SO much conflicting information on Meringue Buttercreams re food safety on here, that now I have less idea than when I started. icon_rolleyes.gif Anyway, what I really would LOVE to know is:

How long would you leave a cake with Italian Meringue buttercream at room temperature? (Assuming the IMBC was made with real egg whites).

7 replies
Coral3 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:45am
post #2 of 8

...anyone?

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 11:45am
post #3 of 8

I only use pasteurized egg whites so I'm not sure I'll be of much help to you, but I have left mine out for several hours (say 6 or so) without issue. I would never leave it out overnight though.

The bottom line with meringue-based buttercreams is that they do not contain the sugar content to make them shelf-stable (in my opinion). I have read conflicting posts as well, but when dealing with egg products, it's better to err on the side of caution.

I always tell people to refrigerate unused portions and to let the cake come to room temp before serving.

Coral3 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 12:11am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your comment tsal!

Such a shame that we can't use raw egg without a second thought like our mothers used to! I guess it is better to err on the side of caution...although sometimes I do wonder if we're really erring on the side of paranoia!!

Id still be interested to hear what others do with their IMBC.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 8

I just buy the pasteurized egg whites.

Coral3 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:27am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I just buy the pasteurized egg whites.

We don't have pasturised egg whites here in Australia unfortunately, or at least we don't where I am. (I'm guessing if I did manage to find them they wouldn't be from free range eggs either...)

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:44am
post #7 of 8

I believe it's 24-48 hours. I prefer 24 hours. 2 weeks in the fridge. The egg whites are cooked with the simple syrup so there isn't as big of an issue with 'raw' eggs.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 10:43am
post #8 of 8

Decorated with or as a filling? In Australia I would have thought that your biggest issue would be with melting! However, I almost only use SMBC filling in my wedding cakes, and they can be out at room temp for 3 days before serving (I don't refridgerate any cake I make). I have never had an issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%