Ufc Cage Help!

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm by Lelka

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 12

Hey guys!

I have a order for a ufc cake - and I am going to make the ring in the octagon - I wanted to make the fence look very real - but edible.

I have seen a lot on here - but am very scared to make a cage out of royal icing - and wonder how it sticks in the cake and stays sturdy?
(I have never used royal icing before) lol

Any help would be soooo wonderful!

TIA! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:49am
post #2 of 12

Have you worked with Sugar Veil before? You wouldn't have to worry so much about it breaking, but it might look more like a net.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:19am
post #3 of 12

Unbreakable gel? (or is that the same as Sugar Veil?)

DeezTreatz Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 12

No I have never worked with sugar veil before icon_sad.gif

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 12

I just finished a UFC cake last week (in my photos). I didn't do the complete octagon though. My cages are royal icing and the poles are Oreo fun sticks. To make them all stand and stick together I inserted lollipop sticks into the cake and then the Oreo sticks went over those. Then I just used the gray royal icing to "glue" everything together. It was extremely sturdy!!!

In my original plan, I was going to the full cage, but was off on my measurements for the cage. I didn't account for the the size of the poles so there was no way the cage panels would fit together perfectly. So my advice is...be very precise with your measurements and make tons of extra panels!

Kate icon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzygem

I just finished a UFC cake last week (in my photos). I didn't do the complete octagon though. My cages are royal icing and the poles are Oreo fun sticks. To make them all stand and stick together I inserted lollipop sticks into the cake and then the Oreo sticks went over those. Then I just used the gray royal icing to "glue" everything together. It was extremely sturdy!!!

In my original plan, I was going to the full cage, but was off on my measurements for the cage. I didn't account for the the size of the poles so there was no way the cage panels would fit together perfectly. So my advice is...be very precise with your measurements and make tons of extra panels!

Kate icon_smile.gif

I love your UFC cake!
Was it hard to do the cage panels in royal icing?
I made 8 panels with holes out of fondant/gumpaste mix...
Then got candy canes and wrapped fondant/gumapste mix over them.
I like your oreo idea better though lol - I love using yummy edible pieces.

I might buy royal icing if you think it will work better!

Did you have to transport the cake? And if so.. how do you do it with it being so tall?

thank you!!!

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:17am
post #7 of 12

I have one in my pics....sorry the cage ISN"T edible...but I used dowels for the posts(dyed them with black food coloring) and used bigger holed tule fabric for the netting cut to size and chocolate to adhere to the posts.

Nancy

DeezTreatz Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbert

I have one in my pics....sorry the cage ISN"T edible...but I used dowels for the posts(dyed them with black food coloring) and used bigger holed tule fabric for the netting cut to size and chocolate to adhere to the posts.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy! That is a wonderful cake!!
Where did you get the fabric netting from? TIA! icon_smile.gif

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:39am
post #9 of 12

The panels I made from royal icing were quite easy. It was my first time ever using royal icing. I drew the cage template on paper and then taped wax paper over it, pipe the cage and let them dry for a few days. The first few were pretty sloppy, but I got the hang of it. The trick is to keep the piping bag up and let the icing "fall" into place. It's hard to explain - kind of like the same way you do string work.

Hope that helps - good luck!

Kate icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 12

I made one recently and used royal icing also. I drew out a template, made a ton of copies and made plenty of extras. I used Tip 2 or 3 for the inside lines (net) and I think 7 or 8 for the outside. I attached them to the cake and to each other using royal icing.

I was going to make them out of gumpaste but that would have taken forever. this was MUCH better.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 12

I recently did one as well and also drew out the fencing on parchment paper, but used candy melts instead Was solid as can be with no breakage problems Also used it to glue the fences to each other.

Sugarveil doesnt try hard so you cannot use it, btw.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 12

I made my panels 50/50 gum paste/fondant trimmed to size and let them dry overnight. I just layed them one on top another in a net pattern. I had absolutely everything edible on my cake, I made support the same way, 50/50 rolls dry overnight. Attached my panels with chocolate and covered with black fondant to hid any imperfection.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1773755

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%