Will This Work?

Lounge By hrnewbie Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 3:56am by cakelady2266

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake for a friend. The plan is to make a fondant covered 9" round 2-layer yellow cake (Sylvia W's fabulous recipe) with Irish creme filling.

I have the urge (but not the wisdom) to try something new. I want to poke tiny holes in the cake and drizzle irish creme on it before frosting/fondant. The hope is that it makes the cake more moist and the irish creme flavor more pronounced.

Will this work? What extra steps do I need to take to make this happen? Will it hold up to the thinly rolled fondant or will the cake be too moist to support fondant?

Don't want to wreck the cake but want to kick it up a notch. Thanks for your help! If it doesn't, I will just use the Bailey's in the buttercream instead. (Or both????)

6 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 7

No need to poke holes in it, it will soak right up.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 7

Just brush on the Irish creme - it will soak into the cake. Once you coat it in buttercream, your fondant will hold up just fine.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

You can also whip the Irish creme right into your buttercream. That's yummy too!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #5 of 7

If you whip the irish creme in your bettercream make sure you add a teensy bit at a time. I made some a couple months ago and I couldn't get it to whip up. I had to start over and just a small bit of what I made previously, but I had way too much and that stuff isn't cheap!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #6 of 7

You could always mist it on....with a spray bottle

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:56am
post #7 of 7

I've brushed it on the cut side before and it worked fine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%