Starting A Cake Shop/bakery

Business By flavacakes Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 3:23am by annacakes

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:28am
post #31 of 34

The advantage of having a home bakery is that you can control the amount of business you take, because you don't have the same overhead that you would have in a storefront bakery. Your business can be as big or as small as you can take on.

The disadvantage is that when you're a one-person operation you're in charge of everything, and you tend to feel like you have to take every job that comes your way in the beginning. If you go into it knowing that you're not going to die if you say that you can't do somebody's cake, then you'll be able to manage the stress better. I turn down at least three cakes a day because I'm already booked up. That's okay, but when you're first starting it can feel like you have to say yes to everything, and you get stretched too thin.

Running a business is not the same as doing something for a hobby. It's not always fun, and if you go into it knowing that you're ahead of the game.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:04am
post #32 of 34

Everyone, or almost everyone (those of us who are idealists) has this perfect little vision of how a business will be- me, taking cute little phone calls while baking cupcakes and handing them out with a smile, all the while working on the most gorgeous wedding cakes and meeting with happy bridal customers who can't wait to pay me for my yummy creations...

Every time I think of that vision, I try to also think about the opposite- me, washing the floors at 3 am after making 20 sheet cakes, me, sweaty with no shower for 3 days remembering at the last minute that I forgot to order the flour for the cupcakes and now I have to run and pay retail. Me, driving over to the bakery on a Sunday morning instead of church to begin work on the gumpaste flowers due on a wedding cake for next week that I forgot to charge extra for said flowers because I'm so overworked...

I have a home bakery (separate kitchen) and a 3 year old. We're in the process of going to a $100 minimum, with wedding cakes being our main focus. I realized that my little one is only little for so long and I WILL have a life after her childhood. The sweaty bakery worker can wait until after that.
Truth is, I'm willing to make the sacrifices a storefront would take because I love the work. BUT my child doesn't have a choice in the matter, so I have to do what's right for her because I can't get it back. I can't wait to open a shop someday, but it will wait until not only I'm ready, but my family is ready.

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 2:43am
post #33 of 34

Very informative. TFL.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:23am
post #34 of 34

There is sooo much more to it than just decorating the cakes...the others are right. You will work harder than you ever thought you could. The stress at times is huge. And you will miss your kids and husband because you will be so busy getting it all done.

The shop has been open for about two months and things are starting to smooth out a bit. Looking forward to someday making a profit - for now pride, excitement at having accomplished it (after years of dreaming about it) and truly enjoying the art of my work will have to do.

Read the E Myth for sure. We use it as a guide - a lot of it is perfect sense!

Take your time. Build slowly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%