I Need Help With A Recall Policy!

Business By tigerfly28 Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 12:45pm by scp1127

tigerfly28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerfly28 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 9

So, I'm in the process of getting licensed. I have the kitchen and the clientele, but I need a recall policy written for the inspectors. I have NO idea where to start. Does anyone here have one they would be willing to share Or even tips? I'm clueless!

8 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 9

Is that like for if you notice a batch of your cakes is bad, and you sold some out of that batch? Weird, never heard of it for a bakery. Certainly have for mass production facilities (eggs, meat etc). You would know if your cakes are bad (well, I would, I taste mine) so you wouldn't go ahead and decorate and sell them. In my opinion anyway...
Where are you based? That might help others help you better.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 9

Try asking your local dept of health for a sample recall policy.

tigerfly28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerfly28 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 9

I'm in Wisconsin. I'm totally lost on this whole thing. From what I understand of it, I have to be keeping track of where all my ingredients come from, including the batch #, etc for each cake...then if one of the ingredients is recalled I'd have to put out some sort of recall myself? I don't know. You;d think, especially with the custom cakes I do, that by the time there would be a recall out on, let's say eggs, that the cake would have already been eaten anyways?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 9

Ohhh, interesting.

I kinda do a little thing in this vein. I have a Keurig coffee pot in the bookstore. The little bitty single serve k-cups do not have the ingredients listed on them-- too small--like for hot chocolate--so I cut off the ingredient list on the box and keep it in a 3-ring binder. (I display the k-cups but discard the boxes.)

So I think I'd just keep a 3-ring binder full of paper ready to tape on the upc codes & the particulars & all the info about that particular cake order/s. But I would just cut it off the packaging.

I mean they recalled Baker's white chocolate once late late well after it's sale. Eggs could easily be recalled.

Extra layers & layers & layers of beaurocracy....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 9

But that's just my thoughts--I have no idea of what they actually intend for you to do--that's just a thought about it.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #7 of 9

I'm in WI, and was NEVER asked to provide this. I would check posted policies for licensing. I have never heard of this. I would also ask for a sample, b/c again, this is something very strange. Maybe just something your specific inspector is requesting? If so, I would politely go above the head of the inspector and inquire to the head of the health dept in your county. It just sounds a little unreasonable to me.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:06am
post #8 of 9

I worked in a restaurant that had to keep the tags for a certain amount of time for the oysters we served raw - but to keep track of which eggs went into which cake is utterly ridiculous. SOMEone has misinterpreted the language of the law here!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 9

Recall is addressed in the FDA certification application. I think I got mine from my Dept of Ag. I'm not saying you need to do it that way, but it is a good one. Basically, you keep track of where you get your ingredients. I make it simple by always using the same brands. Next you keep track of who bought your products. This can be individuals, etc. They want to know how you would contact them in case of a recall. In the case of the general public, you may choose newspaper. There is a record-keeping form in the packet and a time frame for how long you have to keep the records. Requirements are strict for FDA approved kitchens, but again, I am only suggesting this as a guideline.

Quote by @%username% on %date%