Beware....new Cake Scam!!

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 5:08am by cakelady2266

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:22am
post #1 of 6

Beware fellow decorators, I think there is a new cake scam afoot. I just received another email for a wedding cake that sounds fishy. The email address is not from an individual but consulting group and the subject says inquiry. The mother of the bride wants the info and the wedding is Dec 18th and the banquet hall was just booked yesterday. There is never a name or location mentioned, just that I came highly recommended by the wedding planners. None of this was worded or even sounded like a bride or mother of the bride. Has anybody else received an email or call like this?

Anybody who is seriously inquiring about a wedding cake is more personable and doesn't use phrases uncharacteristic of the region (in the south we don't say banquet hall). They also don't usually know the dimension and number of servings of tiers. The also don't wait until 3 or 4 weeks before the wedding to book a "hall" or order a cake. They also wanted the name of a florist, well if you have a wedding planner shouldn't they be giving you florist names?

I'm sure everyone already knows about this scam except for me, but I thought I would share in hopes of saving somebody for getting ripped off. Of course my reply was to schedule a meeting and inform them I didn't accept email or phone orders for wedding cakes and I require a deposit and I do not accept credit cards. If it turns out to be legit I'll let yall know.....

5 replies
bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 6

I havent ever recieved anything like this but it does sound very odd !!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:12am
post #3 of 6

well and they prob figured out that we all talkto each other too, i swear i saw someone on here the other day wanting someone to ship cupcakes, for a wedding and to another country. they had no website had just joined and their only other post was wanting someone to bake a cake and ship it. so i think they might even be lurking in here!!!! anyway, let us know if u hear back from them!

cakelady2266 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 6

Well that figures...but I guess it makes sense. Where else would you find so many cake decorators, and most of us have our website or email addresses listed. I've been noticing some weird post too. Maybe with the holidays coming up they think we are grateful to pick up a little extra cash. Everybody should be on the look out for freaks coming out of the woodwork.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the heads up. My rule of thumb is if they seem fishy from the beginning they are usually scams or flakey.

cakelady2266 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:08am
post #6 of 6

In all my years as a decorator I never had any calls or emails like this until I put my business on a site called Wedding Wire. That was where the other scam email came from, the one that wanted the cakes shipped and they were trying to pay with a stolen credit card. I didn't fall for that one either but some folks got ripped off. How do people think up with this stuff anyway?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%