Now I'm Leery...

Lounge By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 7:44am by scp1127

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 26

I went into our kitchen store and the lady at the counter asked me if I knew the lady that just moved to town since she's a decorator just like me. I had no idea what she's talking about (this is a very small town), so she goes on to tell me she is a sugar art decorator and is doing their open house cake.

Bummer. The open house is HUGE, standing room only, everybody in town goes. I would love to have done the cake.

Then she gave me the contact info and lo and behold it is the same name of the person that emailed me that week for a quote on her "family Thanksgiving cake". Wow what a coincidence that the store's open house cake is exactly the same as her 3 tier fondant covered with pumpkins and leaves, fall themed with a gumpaste bow on top "family Thanksgiving cake"

25 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 26

Is it too mean to hope her cake is a failure? LOL

Why would the store choose her and not even ask you? Is she new to the area but not new to the store?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 26

Things that make ya go "Hmmmmmmm!" icon_rolleyes.gif

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 26

Wow. Sounds like you got undercut.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 26

Yikes! So sorry that happened to you.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:14am
post #6 of 26

I have never made a cake for the store, but they give my name out to people because I have had several people tell me that is where they got my info.

Now I am very curious where she is baking out of because I know where all the legal kitchens are located and who bakes out of them.

I have a $250.00 license fee due December 31st sitting on my desk along with my annual health inspection to get through, so this kind of stuff just sticks in my craw, if you know what I mean.

Gah, I'll get over it. I just need to chill and the next time this happens I will be a little better prepared I hope. No more quicky quotes! Maybe it's time for me to start getting a little more info before figuring out sizes and prices for people.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 7:05am
post #7 of 26

Dirty underhanded trickster...so sorry this happened to you (hugs). I believe that I might just in passing mention this to the kitchen store owner to see if how she reacts to the whole situation. It's not fair to call and get your pricing, so she can undercut you.

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:25am
post #8 of 26

Sorry, I'm confused. Was it your supply store owner who called you for a quote or the new decorator? I guess it's shady either way..if the new girl in town called the store and told them your price quote and they undercut you, or if the store called you for your price to see before they even gave the new girl their price... sheesh my head is spinning! Maybe you can score an invite as a guest to scope it out somemore? And as for the legal thing, is there a way you can find out if she has a permit, etc?

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 26

New girl in town goes into kitchen store ALL EXCITED because she is brand new to town and CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!

Kitchen store hands her their flyer and invites her to their open house.

New girl is ALL EXCITED--she can make their open house cake!!!

Kitchen store mentions that I do cakes--hands her my info.

New girl wants to do this cake, but she has a problem. What the heck are the prices in this town??

Oh wait--here is the website and info for that bakery the kitchen store mentioned...

New girl emails me with made up story about "her family Thanksgiving cake" that just happens to match the description of the kitchen store's open house cake.

I respond to her email with a quote and all the details she needs to go back over the kitchen store with a bid for her "family Thanksgiving cake"

I go in the kitchen store this week to spend my money (like I always do--I try to support my local businesses) and the dipstick at the counter mentions that this new person is VERY EXCITED to be making their open house cake. Owner is in the background suddenly finding the paperwork on her desk VERY interesting.

I mention in a very loud voice how I hope that this new person that is supplying the cake to FEED THE PUBLIC in their store is legal and licensed to do so. I know perfectly well she is not and so do they.

Sigh.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 26

I think it is very sad that the local store that has been getting your business for some time gives their business to a total newcomer. Even if she cut your price a bit (let alone the sneaky way in which she cut your bid) it would have been nice if they returned the loyalty . Some time can you have a polite chat with the owner about this? Separate from the unlicensed baker bit. Remind her that you could easily and more cheaply be buying online but have been getting her the business instead. Not being mean but just pointing this out to her.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 26

Are you going to go to the open house??? I would icon_twisted.gif

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:40am
post #12 of 26

Thanks for the explaination Ladiesofthehouse, I understand it now. Yeah I would be super de-doopery leary!! That is just so...so....dirty rotten underhanded and sneaky!! icon_mad.gif Making enemies is not the foot to start off on in a new town! Makes me wonder how many other decorators in your area/region got asked for the same cake quote...and how many fake email address she'll come up with to get a wedding cake quote, a cuppie quote, a cookie quote... icon_rolleyes.gif

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 26

I would be tempted call her and say, "Oh, when I talked to you last week, I had no idea you were a decorator, too! Marge down at Kitchen Supply just told me! Welcome to town...were you still wanting me to do that Family Thanksgiving cake for you? I know you'll be so busy making the cake for the open house- I'm really flattered you're throwing me your personal business without even having met me!" And just be so sweet, butter wouldn't melt in your mouth and see what she says. Make HER feel awkward about what she's done. Maybe better to let sleeping dogs (and I mean DOGS) lie, though, but sometimes just thinking about revenge feels pretty good.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 26

I find it interesting that everyone is commenting on how she called to get a price quote, when most people on here tell those that are new to call other places and find out what they charge.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:08pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I find it interesting that everyone is commenting on how she called to get a price quote, when most people on here tell those that are new to call other places and find out what they charge.

My observation, too.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:26am
post #16 of 26

It seems a little different in this case since it is a very small market and the quote was for a very specific cake with specific details for a specific upcoming event. I guess I figured when people called around for prices it would be for more general cake prices, like 8 inch bc cake with borders and happy birthday type of thing to get a general range.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 26

People come on here with very specific designs and ask for prices. Most people want to go the easy route and price a cake with out actually figuring out how to price cakes in general.

Chances are this women wasn't thinking into the future when it comes to pricing she was just thinking of this one cake.

I don't really agree with the calling around for prices because I think there are way to many things that factor into how you should and how other may price. I just find it funny that everyone is unhappy that this lady did that when it is often advice given on this very site.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 26

There is plenty of work here, that's for sure. I turned down 2 cakes yesterday and I will turn down plenty more as I get buried during the holiday season.

I don't begrudge her the work, but it took me a long time and lots of blood sweat and tears to get my prices hashed out. If she wants her share of this market, then she can do the work like I did and earn her way in.

If she had gone about this a different way I probably would have tried to work with her and maybe funneled some work in her direction if she wanted it.

But now? tapedshut.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:42pm
post #19 of 26

I'm slightly confused..... Did the kitchen store initially ask you for a quote before they booked with the other person?

If not I'm not sure what you are upset about (aside from increased competition in your area)

I consult & quote all the time and only about 30-40% turn into a booking, its just part of the bussiness.

I am also a person who once a year compare her prices to others in the area (often by calling for a quote), so I really see nothing wrong with someone new to the area trying to gain information o competition's pricing.

THAT SAID... If you quoted the cake to the store first and she called you to get a quote on the same cake and then intentially undercut you... Well then she is a piece of work.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:46am
post #20 of 26

I know the prices of all of my competitors, as EVERY business SHOULD know. That being said, price is just one of many factors that goes into a buying decision. If this is a legal baker, you now have competition and her abilities and business strategy will be a factor in the pricing of cake in your market.

The supply company, such as your cake supply store, is not going to do business with only one of its customers, and companies often get more than one quote. Again, if she is legal, you have more competition and your business will have to adjust to the market change.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #21 of 26

Geez guys--I didn't start this thread because I am upset about having competition. Isn't that what business is all about?

I said more than once that the baker is not legal, that she emailed (not called) me so I didn't get to talk to her and that she had me quote a cake for her family that in reality was the cake for the kitchen store's open house.

I appreciate all the replies, I really do but it is productive to actually read the thread before replying, ya know what I mean?

Happy Thanksgiving!

scp1127 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:56am
post #22 of 26

The first post did not say she was illegal. I am legal but I am sure that other bakers in my area do not know where I am located or if I am legal. They would have to care enough to call the health dept to find out. My home area is not my primary market even though I am licensed in both states. Someone who may find me may think I am new too, which I am not. So I did not assume that the baker is not legal. We also own a home two hours away on Maryland's eastern shore and I sell to friends and by word of mouth there. A baker in that area would assume that I am baking illegally too. I have met all requirements to be FDA certified and will be applying after Christmas to further enlarge my market. Just sayin... this person could be licensed. You would have to call and find out otherwise.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:16am
post #23 of 26

We live on an island with only so many legal kitchens. And I did mention this is a very small town--you know, the kind of place where everyone knows everyone?

Even if she was licensed wherever she came from, she needs to bake out of an approved kitchen in this state.

Our state law won't allow baking out of anything but an approved kitchen and home kitchens are not allowed. Even if she just hits the Farmer's Markets she can only sell for 3 days at a time and our health guy is hanging around every single market to make sure you are compliant.

She's brand new here and operating illegally.

scp1127 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:23am
post #24 of 26

I am not tying to argue. My other home (30% each week) is on tiny Kent Island on Maryland's eastern shore outside of Annapolis and no one would know I am legal. And unless you turn her in, illegal cakers are part of the market.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:25am
post #25 of 26

I'm sorry--your point is?

scp1127 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:44am
post #26 of 26

You posted that I should have read every word of the thread before replying. As I stated, you did not address that she was illegal in the original post. Since I was criticized for not reading every single word of every post, I thought again about the situation and realized that my business is similar as it could be assumed that I am illegal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%