Round Gingerbread House With Cookie House Dough?

Baking By cakesrock Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 6:10pm by 7yyrt

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make a round gingerbread house, but it needs to be a light color. I tried a recipe with sour cream, but it didn't work.
Do you think a cookie house dough recipe (like a sugar cookie) would work if I bake it over a bowl? That is the technique my gingerbread house book suggests..The last time I tried it, I took the advice on a web site and baked it flat, then tried to cool it over the bowl -that did NOT work!
Any other suggestions would be appreciated?
TIA!

7 replies
LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 8

Round as in tube shaped? Or igloo shaped? Don't have an answer for you, just curious.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 8

Ok, I was thinking to do the exact same thing this year, but to make ball shaped ornament cookies. I also thought I can bake the cookie itself on a round bowl (using the outside of the bowl) and then joint the two halfs and make a round cookie.
It sounds logical.
I think a sugar cookie recipe or a gingerbread cookie recipe will work fine as long as it does not have any leavening agent and it is rolled a little thicker than 1/4 inch, lets say like 3/8 inch!
Please if you make it let me know how it turns out....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 8

We made NFSC cookie bowls several times, to give filled with cookies.
I just rolled the dough out as though I was going to cut out cookies, and draped it over the Pyrex bowls.
You can also cut your shapes, and put them on the bowl that way, but sometimes the seams don't seal (Especially if you have little ones helping.)
If you want the top to be round like an igloo, you'll need to put some stuffing of some sort at the bottom to fill it out... bread cut to shape?

cakesrock Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLuLu

Round as in tube shaped? Or igloo shaped? Don't have an answer for you, just curious.

igloo shaped

cakesrock Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:59am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

We made NFSC cookie bowls several times, to give filled with cookies.
I just rolled the dough out as though I was going to cut out cookies, and draped it over the Pyrex bowls.
You can also cut your shapes, and put them on the bowl that way, but sometimes the seams don't seal (Especially if you have little ones helping.)
If you want the top to be round like an igloo, you'll need to put some stuffing of some sort at the bottom to fill it out... bread cut to shape?

Excellent! Thanks...

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 8

Really, putting cookie dough over a bowl? Wow, that sounds interesting.

7yyrt - how long do you bake something like that? And what temperature?

Such a good idea to then fill it up with cookies.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 8

They're the same thickness as regular cookies, and take just a little longer.

Be gentle taking them off. I liked to loosen them, then let them cool right on the bowls to minimize cracking.
(It's been a while, so that's why I keep saying "I did".)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%